Cerebellar tonsil.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Some of you will remember my DD recently had suffered a concussion, but she is doing fine according to the trainer, doctor and her.

I did talk to someone who's son while playing football for a middle school suffered a light blow to the head. He was having head aces according to his dad. His parents took him to TC Thompson Children hospital who diagnosed a light concussion, and prescribed rest with no computer, tv or cell phone or any stress.

The headaches continued so they took him to Erlanger Hospital who did farther test which showed he had an elongation of the cerebellar tonsils, a condition described below. He was told he would never play football again and will need surgery.

The cerebellar tonsil is analogous to a rounded lobule on the undersurface of each cerebellar hemisphere, continuous medially with the uvula of the cerebellar vermis and superiorly by the flocculonodular lobe (source: Biology Online) Synonyms include: tonsilla cerebelli, amygdala cerebelli, the latter of which is not to be confused with the cerebral tonsils or amydgala nuclei located deep within the medial temporal lobes of the cerebral cortex. The flocculonodular lobe of the cerebellum which can also be confused for the cerebellar tonsils, is one of three lobes that make up the overall composition of the cerebellum. The cerebellum consists of three anatomical and functional lobes: anterior lobe, posterior lobe, and flocculonodular lobe.

Elongation of the cerebellar tonsils can, due to pressure, lead to this portion of the cerebellum to slip or be pushed through the foramen magnum of the skull resulting is tonsillar herniation. This is a life-threatening condition as it causes increased pressure on the medulla oblongata which contains respiratory and cardiac control centres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_tonsil

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
wow that's scary! too many people still take the issue of head injury too lightly, I had no idea this was a "thing".
I hope the kid is allright and is able to bounce back (hopefully football is the only thing he has to give up)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55