Catcher Obstructing Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Coaches, what do you teach your 12U base runners to do when they are coming home and the catcher is obstructing the plate waiting for the ball? What I have seen a lot of kids do is avoid contact and slide so early that they never get to the plate, becoming an easy out. Umpires, how much "contact" do you allow at this age level (or even above)? I spend a lot of time teaching both the defenders and base runners about obstruction (and interference), but this issue at home has always left me uneasy. I teach my catchers (and pitchers covering home on a passed ball) to stand at the front of the plate to avoid contact (it is just not worth it to see them get run over), but what about the base runner? Do you teach your kids to hook slide around the catcher and avoid contact? Or run straight through? More often than not, I've seen the umpires make the call in favor of protecting the catcher rather than making the obstruction call. Any thoughts?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
From an umpire's perspective, I would advise you to NOT teach your players to "run through" the catcher. Even if the catcher is obstructing, the act of running through them would override the obstruction and render the runner out and potentially ejected.

What I would advise is for the runner to make it very clear that she can't get to plate by taking a wide route or trying the hook slide.

I would love to see a runner just stop and look at the umpire and say "I can't get to the plate because she is blocking it without the ball" I don't think that will ever happen, but it may just wake up some of the umpires we have out there.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the umpires that won't call the obstruction in this situation, because I share that same frustration. I think it's getting better because we have hammered on obstruction the last few years, but there will always be some out there who either don't or refuse to get it.

I would also suggest that if you think there was obstruction, to approach the umpire calmly after the play and ask about it. You may or may not get the call changed in your favor, but at least you have planted a seed that may get the umpire looking at the next play at the plate a bit closer.

Jul 26, 2010
The runner should always hook slide to the opposite side from where the catcher is setup. Why would they ever go straight in? If it is a bang bang play, they have more of a chance going around.

-W

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
From an umpire's perspective, I would advise you to NOT teach your players to "run through" the catcher. Even if the catcher is obstructing, the act of running through them would override the obstruction and render the runner out and potentially ejected.

What I would advise is for the runner to make it very clear that she can't get to plate by taking a wide route or trying the hook slide.

I would love to see a runner just stop and look at the umpire and say "I can't get to the plate because she is blocking it without the ball" I don't think that will ever happen, but it may just wake up some of the umpires we have out there.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the umpires that won't call the obstruction in this situation, because I share that same frustration. I think it's getting better because we have hammered on obstruction the last few years, but there will always be some out there who either don't or refuse to get it.

I would also suggest that if you think there was obstruction, to approach the umpire calmly after the play and ask about it. You may or may not get the call changed in your favor, but at least you have planted a seed that may get the umpire looking at the next play at the plate a bit closer.

Hahaha:cool:

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado

LOL! The middle school girls had a play last weekend similar to the one PA SB Dad decribed. The catcher was standing to the third base side of home. The runner came charging in after a tag-up flyout. The runner slid slightly to the side (not really a textbook hook slide, but she did her best) just as the ball came in. There was some contact and the ball was knocked out of the catcher's mitt, thus the runner scored safely. I think aggressive, competitive baserunning is good, as long as it's within the rules.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think Pony rules state you must try to avoid contact. Dodge, slide, jump over but don't run over. Good luck getting an ump to call interference as he is watching the ball come in to see when to focus on a tag or force.

DD's team teaches set up with the left foot on the front of the bag and go to the knee in a blocking move as you receive. If the throw is good they block at the last minute and have the ball. Key part being "IF the throw is good."

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
My DD was ejected from a rec ball game and suspended for four games because she took out a catcher. The catcher was a TB friend of hers who held onto the ball and my DD was called out. No harm to the catcher or my DD and both families went for pizza and beer after the game. Sometimes it hard to tone down the competitiveness in these athletes but my DD learned her lesson.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Thanks Ajay (and everyone else), you basically confirmed for me that it is probably not worth trying to get the obstruction call at home and do their best to get around the catcher. I am still going to teach my catcher and pitchers not to be in the baseline unless they have the ball - the risk of injury at this age is just not worth it.

Feb 29, 2012
Unfortunately I believe there are too many coaches out there that teach their girls to obstruct not only at the plate but on the bases as well knowing that it is unlikely that umpires are going to call it. The best way to draw attention to it on the bases is to bump into the fielder (as opposed to run into her), enough to call attention to the obstruction. Home plate is a different story. You should avoid contact there.
I think you should note early in the game if fielders and the catcher are not getting out of the way of the runner or blocking the plate. Bring it to the umpires attention early before it becomes an issue.
I especially hate the plate blocking when there is no play at the plate.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I don't understand why obstruction at home isn't called more often? I've never seen it called. I would agree with a rule stating the catcher cannot setup in between home and third at any time, with or without the ball. Inside the baseline but not on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie