Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Coaching 10U and have a kid on the team that has an awesome family. I asked the mom where here husband went. He sits in the outfield and says I have Sports Turrets. LOL.

He played minor league ball and the entire family plays at least minor league ball. Two uncles that played MLB and maybe more in the family. 4 years later and I have seen him in the stands once. That day we won the MS conference championship 3-2 in the bottom of the last inning. His wife dropped the phone videoing the last play and you can see her going crazy and him packing the chairs shaking his head. Great family!
Dude sounds like me minus the pedigree..lol!! My family has/had a lot of college athletes but nobody played professionally.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
My DD is a late year birthday and already playing up a year 🤷‍♂️ . From what I have seen, despite her poor game in the original story, there are only a few 08 teams in the state where she might not be the best SS and maybe a half dozen where she would only be average in terms of hitting.

Anyway she shouldn't have to find a new team because her Dad is a head case ;)
Luckily my DD isn't that good. :LOL:

In the spirit of the thread, DD is in the on deck circle set to lead off the inning. She's taking these ridiculous upper cut swings. She's right in front of me in the stands. I tell her to knock it off. Swing hard, and swing level. She gives the the "but daaaaad" routine and tells me she's going to hit a HR, and makes a motion upward and outward with her hands, trying to explain that she had to hit the ball up into the air to hit one out. Mind you, DD is all of 4'9", 72lbs at this time. The other parents are enjoying this exchange, and I'm just trying to explain that she's not going to hit one over the 215' fence. I'm not successful in convincing DD of a damn thing. She saunters up to the plate and works her way into a 3-2 count after 2 big uppercut swing and misses. The pay off pitch comes, and she takes one more ridiculous uppercut swing and drives the ball over the center fielders head. It probably carried 150' and rolled all the way to the fence. She crosses the plate before the ball gets back to the dirt, and is in the middle of telling me "I told you so" when she gets mobbed by her teammates. I took a good amount of crap from DD, and all the parents over the whole incident.

Jun 8, 2016
In the spirit of the thread, DD is in the on deck circle set to lead off the inning. She's taking these ridiculous upper cut swings. She's right in front of me in the stands. I tell her to knock it off. Swing hard, and swing level. She gives the the "but daaaaad" routine and tells me she's going to hit a HR, and makes a motion upward and outward with her hands, trying to explain that she had to hit the ball up into the air to hit one out. Mind you, DD is all of 4'9", 72lbs at this time. The other parents are enjoying this exchange, and I'm just trying to explain that she's not going to hit one over the 215' fence. I'm not successful in convincing DD of a damn thing. She saunters up to the plate and works her way into a 3-2 count after 2 big uppercut swing and misses. The pay off pitch comes, and she takes one more ridiculous uppercut swing and drives the ball over the center fielders head. It probably carried 150' and rolled all the way to the fence. She crosses the plate before the ball gets back to the dirt, and is in the middle of telling me "I told you so" when she gets mobbed by her teammates. I took a good amount of crap from DD, and all the parents over the whole incident.
So how long after that did it take for her to listen to anything you said :LOL:

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Back in 10U Rec days. I had a little player up to bat. While I was coaching 1B I was coaching up some kids in the dugout. A few pitches go by, and then I turn back around and notice the player has disappeared. Totally ghosted the game! I receive a call from the dad later that evening apologizing profusely that they left. The player peed her shorts while she was batting and was so mortified she escaped the game. Oh my! I had her on several All Star teams in subsequent years, and she played on the rival HS team. Now she is in college at LSU always posting her sorority Insta pics. I always picture her up to bat that game. LOL!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have a few of DD stories that come to mind. 9th grade fall ball. She is only one hopping the ball to the fence at this time. I see something in her swing that I think we can fix to gain more extension and distance. We literally had a melt down fight in the softball dojo (garage). She fought me on this change tooth and nail. During practice the following week she gets my attention and shows me that she is doing what I was trying to teach her and gives me a thumbs up. That weekend was her last fall tourney and her last AB of the tourney she hits the top of the fence!

Fast forward to the spring. Her first official HS AB she hits it over the fence. 1st ever.

Her Jr year. In a game she hits 2 Hr's, triple, double and Single. I am doing GC and didn't realize she hit for the cycle until we got home that night as I synched the game to Max Preps.

This spring is college fresh year. Her first collegiate HR I watched from the couch via streaming. She tells me the other day. Hey dad I was going to give you that ball. What? You have the ball? Yeah. One of the parents gave it to me. Where is it? I think it's in my bag. Still haven't seen it.

2nd HR of college--First career Grand Slam! Got to see it with my own eyes. I regret not running out to get that ball.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
"How am I supposed to coach a kid that doesn't listen to a damn thing I say?"
That's funny, I can think of exactly four different girls who's dads would always come to me and "ask" me to talk to their DD's. Their reasoning was they'd listen to me and do anything I'd ask of them, but "they will NOT listen to me!?"

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have a few of DD stories that come to mind. 9th grade fall ball. She is only one hopping the ball to the fence at this time. I see something in her swing that I think we can fix to gain more extension and distance. We literally had a melt down fight in the softball dojo (garage). She fought me on this change tooth and nail. During practice the following week she gets my attention and shows me that she is doing what I was trying to teach her and gives me a thumbs up. That weekend was her last fall tourney and her last AB of the tourney she hits the top of the fence!

Fast forward to the spring. Her first official HS AB she hits it over the fence. 1st ever.

Her Jr year. In a game she hits 2 Hr's, triple, double and Single. I am doing GC and didn't realize she hit for the cycle until we got home that night as I synched the game to Max Preps.

This spring is college fresh year. Her first collegiate HR I watched from the couch via streaming. She tells me the other day. Hey dad I was going to give you that ball. What? You have the ball? Yeah. One of the parents gave it to me. Where is it? I think it's in my bag. Still haven't seen it.

2nd HR of college--First career Grand Slam! Got to see it with my own eyes. I regret not running out to get that ball.
Sounds to me like she's seeing the ball real well!!

Aug 2, 2019
That's funny, I can think of exactly four different girls who's dads would always come to me and "ask" me to talk to their DD's. Their reasoning was they'd listen to me and do anything I'd ask of them, but "they will NOT listen to me!?"
That used to work. She knows I talk to the coaches now. Unfortunately, she's turning into the talented kid that doesn't put in effort, and doesn't want to listen.

Example, at practice one time, only about half to girls are there. Front toss bp. Me and another dad are shagging. It's hot, DD is struggling. Swinging and missing everything. Twice through, ten reps each, nothing in play, maybe two or three foul tips. Her swing, well, it wasn't "her swing". Very handsy, timing is off, and just overall looks like garbage. Won't listen to me, or Coach. Last time through he tells the girls they get five pitches, and he'll give them a dollar for every ball that lands in the grass. All of a sudden her swing is back in sync. She was pretty proud of herself and her $3. Me and the coach just exchanged WTF looks. I wanted to strangle her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd