Best catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
right. And there is a girl on DD's team that has the Under Armor gear so I got a good look at it. The UA straps are the only difference than on the All Star leg guards. UA has regular straps. The All Star have the thick piece down the middle connecting the 2 lower straps so that they don't dig in the legs when you wear shorts

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I got the Wilson ProMotion Chest and Legs in School Ball colors (they didn't have TB colors)
I then got the All-Star System 7 Helmet In the two tone White/Black

I wasn't a fan of the All-Star gear, but the salesman, who I know and trust, talked me into buying the helmet. Glad he did, because it's top quality and the DD loves it. BTW, I did tell her today that the innards are machine washable. Her response, "Really?" :p I guess I should not have been so ornery and told her a while ago.

Apr 3, 2011
Ordered Wilson Pro Motion set for my DD this spring, she loves the leg guards, and chest protector. Still using her Easton Catchers mask though. She didn't give the wilson much of a chance, i think she wore it one inning in a game and that was it. I dont recall the reason. Ill try and ask when she gets home.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Been browsing a bunch, pulling info from a variety of threads. Anyway, thought that I'd finally contribute. Just upgraded my DD's catching gear, she plays 8u. The difficult part was sizing. The mizuno samurai youth stuff is still really big. Went with the Easton Mako leg guards and chest protector as the sizing was good for younger players. Leg guards are really nice, lots of coverage. Maybe not the lightest but she likes them. Chest protector is very light and fits well. We'll see how it breaks in. As for the helmet, I went with the Wilson FX Shock 2.0. So many great features. The padding is awesome, fit is very secure. The field of view is huge compared to other helmets. For me, it was the best choice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Been browsing a bunch, pulling info from a variety of threads. Anyway, thought that I'd finally contribute. Just upgraded my DD's catching gear, she plays 8u. The difficult part was sizing. The mizuno samurai youth stuff is still really big. Went with the Easton Mako leg guards and chest protector as the sizing was good for younger players. Leg guards are really nice, lots of coverage. Maybe not the lightest but she likes them. Chest protector is very light and fits well. We'll see how it breaks in. As for the helmet, I went with the Wilson FX Shock 2.0. So many great features. The padding is awesome, fit is very secure. The field of view is huge compared to other helmets. For me, it was the best choice.

If your DD is comfortable and the gear fits well, you've done a good job. If your DD is excited to strap on the new armor and work the dish, even better. :)

Oct 10, 2011
We just got the leg guards in and the chest protector will be here tomorrow. The gaurds look outstanding. ..definitely a step up from what we have. DD likes the way the straps go through the pad in the back. She had a lot of problems with her current ones. We have our 1st one day tournament this weekend but she won't catch. We have 2 catcher's in college and they will be there. They haven't had a lot of time to work with her yet this spring so she'll be at 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors