BB – DD might not make it the entire Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
2 softball things happened this year that make me less then trusting.

The Team’s Manager was replaced, the new Manager purposely waited until DD was back on the field before enacting his takeover. Team was 0-8 or 0-9 before DD came back. With her in the lineup the Team won 80% of their games against the same Teams.

New manager was using my DD’s foot Issue as an excuse to allow their DD to pitch more. She couldn’t beat my DD fair and square and used her foot Issue as an excuse.

Save this post. In a few years pull it out and look at it. I bet you'll get a laugh out of it. It's all good.

Sep 17, 2009
We have been to a handful or people and they all have the same opinion. She has an Issue with the growth plate in her foot. She goes to physically therapy, has an ankle brace and does exercises every night.

Once she stops growing she will need to re taught how to walk and run. :) DW is a nurse so she is in charge of the medical side of things.

My DD had the exact issue last year. As a 7th grader last year she played travel basketball for the first time (on top of aggressive travel fast pitch). Her legs couldn't take the pounding, she either had a stress fracture in her upper ankle or just chronic growing soreness, she ended up in a boot, missed second half of basketball season and softball winter workouts.

She was fine last summer, though softball hurts a bit from time to time nothing like basketball.

She decided not to play travel basketball again, wasn't worth it to her and frankly I think the pain scared her.

Best of luck to your DD.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, she will be good. I am glad it worked out for your DD.

Signed DD for BB this weekend, decided on full disclosure like Sluggers suggested.

DD needs help getting to practice this year so we asked to be with a specific family that can get her there, this was noted on the signup form and was told might or might not work out. Nothing was noted on the form about DD will not surviving the season.

They said just discuss it with the coach that drafts her.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Save this post. In a few years pull it out and look at it. I bet you'll get a laugh out of it. It's all good.

I understand what you are saying; all I can say right now is maybe.

It is going to take a while to forget what happened this spring, more for me then DD.

Nov 29, 2009
Had a girl a couple of years ago on one of my 12U teams. She played rec volley ball followed by rec basketball. All while doing fall and winter workouts for the travel softball team. I had warned the mom about the girl being over-scheduled. Right after the first of the year the girl is nearly in tears during some throwing drills. I asked what is wrong. She tells me her arm hurts. I asked her to show me where. She points to her elbow. The girl has good throwing mechanics so I know there is no problem there. I asked when it started to hurt. She said near the end of VB and has gotten worse with BB. I immediately stop her from doing any throwing drills. I speak to the mom after practice and let her know what is going on and suggest getting her to an Ortho. Mom sends me a text a few days later. The girl has a stress fracture in a growth plate from over-use. No sports related activities with the right arm for 3 months. Then she needed to be re-evaluated. She wore a sling for the first two months. A little over 4 months later she was allowed to resume sports activities.

The mom came up to me during the middle of it and said she should have listened from the start. But her DD want to play all the sports. That's when I told her what they WANT to do and what their bodies will ALLOW them to do are two completely different things. At some time the parent has to be the person with the best interests of the child in mind. Even when they run counter to what the child wants.

I have another one this year that is almost the same as above except it's a knee with known feet complications and an oblivious parent.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, but I trust her doctor.

DD has been to a couple different specialize, have always been in-line with DD’s primary physician. DD just has to live with being in pain for a while.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Different kids have different problems. My son played 2 sports and broke a growth plate in both feet. My nephew played only soccer and broke a growth plate. My dd has played everything and so far (knock on wood) nothing.

Lots of kids specialize in one thing and end up doing just as much, or more, training then the kid who plays TB and dabbles in 4 other sports. There is no cookie cutter approach that fits all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd