Bat on shoulder before pitch. Bad mechanics or style issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What is your opinion on having batter start out with the bat on the shoulder before the pitch. My DD has started placing the bat on her right shoulder (RHB) as her pre-pitch set-up but as soon as the pitcher goes into the wind-up she takes it off her shoulder and slightly out in front of her away from her body (not towards the pitcher). Her two arms make an inverted "V" which is a position I think I like. Should I be concerned about the bat on the shoulder or is it just a style issue and nothing to be concerned about?

Oct 12, 2009
What is your opinion on having batter start out with the bat on the shoulder before the pitch. My DD has started placing the bat on her right shoulder (RHB) as her pre-pitch set-up but as soon as the pitcher goes into the wind-up she takes it off her shoulder and slightly out in front of her away from her body (not towards the pitcher). Her two arms make an inverted "V" which is a position I think I like. Should I be concerned about the bat on the shoulder or is it just a style issue and nothing to be concerned about?

I have found this can be an effective way to ensure good alignment.

However, there are many ways to screw this up and yield a poor swing.

That includes having the angle of the front elbow angle too tight (e.g. 90 degrees when it should be more like 135 degrees) or setting up too upright.

With girls you also have to watch their set up, and sometimes adjust it, because girls (and younger boys) tend to have narrower shoulders than older boys.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have actually been taught to do this. If your hands are set up too soon before the pitcher releases the ball, a good catcher can see that an inside pitch will jam you or there is no way you could hit an outside pitch by your hands. That catcher will call accordingly. That being said, I can hit it all... but that was the logic behind why I was taught to leave the bat on my shoulder.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Tell me if you disagree but a couple of benefits I can see with the bat on the shoulder is that it a) promotes a relaxed grip on the handle (tension and a "death grip" on the bat is not ideal and b) it gives the batter a specific starting point everytime that is easy to find.

O'leary - interesting observation about making sure that the front elbow angle is greater than 90 degrees. I'll check for that. I'm realizing that there is soooo much to learn about proper set-up and swing meachanics!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SCS ... yes, one of the benefits of what you describe is with the promotion of a relaxed grip ..... And according to Hodge, it also promotes what he considers to be a correct grip with the knocking knuckles of the top hand aligned with the ring location of the bottom hand.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
2007 computer study out of UCLA proved the grip. Still see many line up the knuckles using the marks on the glove. Good point. Only issue I would watch I see many not get the bat in the slot position ( tap the back of the pony tail holder on back of helment) and start with the bat to far out stealing bat speed, or taking the bat up to high than dropping the hands. Otherwise I like the relaxed idea , since most kids seem to be tight.

R

RayR

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have some girls rest the bat on their shoulders against slower pitchers. They keep it there until the pitcher goes starts her stride forward. It's just a way of keeping them from getting out in front of slow pitchers.

Normally I like the bat off the shoulder but see no reason you can't do what you're describing. As long as you get the bat to the launch position on time it shouldn't make any difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06