barry bonds drill ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
could someone please post a video of the barry bonds drill ? i've read the decription but i don't get it ?
so if someone could post a video? that would be great !:rolleyes:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Someone (maybe Howard) posted an excellent description of what is involved here. Now that thread has been removed with a whole lot of other threads that Howard participated in and shared his wealth of knowledge. I thought I had saved it but I can't find it!

Maybe you could describe what you know? I often do a simplified Bonds drill that involves the batter stepping closer to the pitching machine one step at a time and then stepping away one step at a time. something I want to try with the younger kids is putting a fielding glove on the top hand (typically their throwin hand) and have them stand in the batters box and catch the pitches. (there's more to it than that but that's the executive summary) this is all part of the unabridged Bonds drill that was started at clinics and camps.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Someone (maybe Howard) posted an excellent description of what is involved here. Now that thread has been removed with a whole lot of other threads that Howard participated in and shared his wealth of knowledge. I thought I had saved it but I can't find it!

Maybe you could describe what you know? I often do a simplified Bonds drill that involves the batter stepping closer to the pitching machine one step at a time and then stepping away one step at a time. something I want to try with the younger kids is putting a fielding glove on the top hand (typically their throwin hand) and have them stand in the batters box and catch the pitches. (there's more to it than that but that's the executive summary) this is all part of the unabridged Bonds drill that was started at clinics and camps.

i thought it was something like that but??? catching with a glove on the wrong hand, will help with your batting ???
ok, so i have her in the batter's box,glove on the throwing hand.(is she in a batter's stance?) and how should she be holding her hands ? and then she starts taking steps towards the pitching maching?( how close?) and then we work our way back right? do we have our hands like we're gonna hit and pretend to swing? i'm sorry i've read this is a very good drill and i want to learn how to do it

May 13, 2008
The Bonds Drill is really nothing more than moving a step closer to the pitching machine after every hit until you just can't catch up to it anymore.

We don't do much with pitching machines as I feel like it can be detrimental to a swing to use them too much. One thing I have my hitters do is a slight variance of this and that is to have the hitter move around after every hit. Move up two steps. In a little. Out a little. Move back on step. Etc. etc.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
The Bonds Drill is really nothing more than moving a step closer to the pitching machine after every hit until you just can't catch up to it anymore.

so your swinging a bat in this situation, there's no glove involved?

May 13, 2008

No gloves required. We hit the ball with a bat, so I'm not sure it would be a good thing to train taking our hands directly to the ball.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania

We don't do much with pitching machines as I feel like it can be detrimental to a swing to use them too much. One thing I have my hitters do is a slight variance of this and that is to have the hitter move around after every hit. Move up two steps. In a little. Out a little. Move back on step. Etc. etc.

We don't use a machine that often either, but you can still do the drill. We set 4 plates up. Batter keeps moving closer to the coach who is pitching from behind a screen.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio

gvm, The drill with the glove is not really the BB drill, it is more a tracking the ball drill. To do the drill as I understand it is to put the batter at the plate in their regular batting stance with them wearing a left hand glove if they are a righty(they want to catch the ball with the top hand. This drill is easier if you are using it to help your right handed slappers as they just wear their regular glove) and pitch the ball through the machine to the batter. Hold a ball in your right hand and make the windmill motion then drop a ball into the chute with your left hand to mimic the pitchers motion. You need to do this to help the batter time or as HC says "dance with the pitcher". The batter should go through the batting sequence so they catch the ball at the POC with good timing of their hitting motion. The BB drill is as cshilt described above. I start my MS players at the plate with the machine set at 43 - 47 mph. The speed should be where they are comfortable and can really time the pitch and take it up the middle. After a few cut have them move up three feet at a time until they are 20 -25 feet away from the machine. This distance could be less if their mechanics start to break down. Every foot increases the apparent speed by 2-3 mph through the reduction of reaction time due to being closer to the release point of the pitch. Again be sure and use the pitching motion prior to feeding the machine. I have a windmill attachment on our Jugs machine but not everyone does. After they are as close to the machine as they can handle the pitch have them move back until they are back at home plate.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was writing this while go4fpsb was posting. that info is all you need but I already wrote this so I'm leaving it!:)
There are two main components to this drill as I understand it. This is my understanding and may differ from the original drill.

One component is for younger players where they put the glove on their throwing hand, stand in the box like they would be hitting, and catch the pitches as they come in. Then after that, start with the glove by the ear and step/shift weight as you would when hitting and swing around with that glove to catch the ball. Basically go thru the moves to hit only catch it instead. This helps the kids understand keeping the eye on the ball when hitting, tracking fast pitches and timing the faster pitches. Most young kids are intimidated by fast pitching. This drill helps them to not be afraid and build confidence necesary for hitting. It does not teach them to hit the ball with their hands.

The 2nd and most commonly used component is the stepping toward the machine component. After getting warmed up and hitting a few, I have the batter take one big step toward me and hit 3 to 5 pitches, then take another step closer and hit 3 - 5 more. we repeat this until either the player can't keep up with the pitch or she's about 10-12' from the machine.
Then she takes a step backward, hits 3-5, takes another step back and hits, and continues till back at the starting point.
This gives the batter experience on facing faster pitches as well as slower pitches. The idea mentioned earlier about varying the batters location between pitches is an excellent variation on the basic drill that I employ as well, often after I've had her up and back already. You can improvise according to the skill of the batter.

Another thing I've noticed is as the kid gets closer, the pitch location is more consistent. Our machines aren't that accurate and by the time it reaches the plate the ball can be high, low, inside, outside, you never know. As they get closer to the machine, the pitch location deviates less and less. so even though the pitch is faster, it holds to a tighter zone.

Another thing I do in the cages is use wooden bats. You have to hit the ball right with a wooden bat to get a good hit. In the cages, you can whack the hell out of a ball with a metal bat and never really know. with a wooden bat if you hit it right, you know it!

Sometimes the cages are our only choice, so I try to push the limits and find ways to use them where we might not with live pitching.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
The back hand glove drill is a tracking drill, and is very useful in getting the back hand thru the slot and tracking the ball at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan