Bad Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
In another thread I posted a "Bad Dad" story about how I intentionally clocked DD with a 7 mph slow radar gun. Got me thinking about some of the other embarrassing stunts I have pulled on DD, hence the "Bad Dad" thread. Don't get me wrong, I am the staunchest supporter of my DD and spend more time with her than anyone else in the family. I am very proud of her but every now and then she needs to be taken down a notch. Last summer was no exception.

DD had just come off her most successful tournament season ever. Her batting numbers were off the charts and she had an ego to match. She was starting to talk trash and needed an attitude adjustment. This provided a great setup for my prank. I told DD that a friend of mine had an 18YO DD that was struggling in the circle and wanted some extra pitching time against quality batters. My buddy and I setup time at a local field and arranged for my DD to show up just as his DD was ending her warm ups. This was important so that DD did not see her pitches beforehand.

DD hung her bag, grabbed her helmet, gloves and bat and took a few warm up swings. At the same time the pitcher took a couple of warm up pitches from the circle. These pitches were no more than mid 40s at the most. DD looks at me with the smile that says, "I am going to so crush this pitcher". DD steps into the box and goes through her pre at bat cycle. She is now ready and the pitcher winds up and delivers. DD did not flinch, she did not move, her bat was in the same position the entire time. It took her about a half second to look back and see that the ball was in the catchers mitt. The look on her face went from, "Oh yeah" to "What the ????".

I was honest with DD. The other girl was an 18YO pitcher. What I failed to mention was that she was also a freshman at a D1 college and was a starter in the rotation. The first pitch she faced was at least 65 and probably a bit faster. Those warm up pitches? Change-ups. The next 5 minutes DD got to face the full breadth of a D1 pitcher. She fouled off a couple of pitches but was otherwise swinging at air or caught looking. She got the message and her attitude changed dramatically after that batting session.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I love a dad with humor. It breaks up the seriousness of this game and life. I've got an early audit in the morning but will add a few words to this post tomorrow.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would guess a few people have done this but:

Used Video editing software to slow DD’s swing and pitching down, then sat with her so she could see how slow she was compared to some other players (they of course were at full speed). She caught on and will not fall for it anymore. :)

Mar 15, 2010
I would guess a few people have done this but:

Used Video editing software to slow DD’s swing and pitching down, then sat with her so she could see how slow she was compared to some other players (they of course were at full speed). She caught on and will not fall for it anymore. :)

That is just cruel. No way I would ever pull a stunt like that. But just out of curiosity which software video editing? I use Vegas Pro. How much did you slow it down? .9? .85? HD or standard? Even though I would never do this I just want to be sure I have the steps down correctly. Be a bummer if it was too slow, that would just give it away too quickly.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The trick is to only have her in the video so she cannot get a reference to other things being slowed down. I was slowing her down to @.85 HD. She caught me when we were purposely slowing her down to look at a few things and for some reason a light went on in her head. It was fun while it lasted but she asked about it and I told her I would not do it again.

I just use the software that came with the camera; it is really bad but serves our purpose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA