Appointed Asst State Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
The appt was made official today! (I got the letter ages ago but not on the website until today) Appointed asst coach of one our state teams over here. SO excited right now, had a lot of competition but got the role!

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks!

I'm really nervous because I've never coached at this level but the only way to get better is to learn!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Congratulations! Can you tell us more about it. We don't have state teams here. So, what age group? How is the team chosen? Who do you play?

Mar 13, 2010
I don't want to give too much away (because if I tell you my state it wouldn't be hard to find out my name and so on) but I'm coaching U17. (we used to have U12/14/16/19 but it's just changed to U13/15/17/19. T-ball is U11)

National championships are played here every year in January. (Dec/Jan are our school hols so it's played in early Jan. Of course it's insanely hot) with U17 being the youngest age group. We have six states and two territories. (New South Wales is my home state and are dominant in softball, a big reason being we have a much larger population. There's also Queensland and Victoria right up there, though VIC seem to be on the way down. South Australia and West Australia always send teams, as well as the Australian Capital Territory. The ACT is about two hours south of Sydney and will often pick up NSW players. They're generally pretty strong) Northern Territory and Tasmania generally don't send teams, but we have a system where the smaller states can pick up players from the stronger states if they choose. Softball Australia is really working to get every state to every championship, but when you consider that Tasmania's total pool of softball players is about the same size as a large association in NSW or QLD it's very difficult.

Chosen by nomination. It's done differently here, from what I've been told we have academy and the three teams train together. (U17/19 and Open) and they cut down from there. Back home (NSW) it used to be you had to be picked for squad, now they have an open trial session where anyone can nominate and they pick a squad from there.

Please ask more questions. I find the American system baffling at times (I think that's obvious!) It's a lot more laid back here and we have far less players but we always produce top notch softball players. The women's side aren't too strong at the momenet (I think they came 5th at the World Championships?) but they'll get back there. Our men are currently World Champions which is brilliant. When you consider that Australia has 40,000 people playing softball TOTAL we're swinging well above our weight. (and that includes a lot of adults. We don't have a lot of kids playing sadly, but it's slowly starting to pick back up again)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
It's not a traditional season per se amanda. We train for six months and then have the one week tournament. Other states have more (for example in addition to 'rec', which everyone plays, I had rep tournaments which was regional and state championships. Then add two to three tournaments throughout the year. Generally they'd be as your rep team though. Then Canberra for Australia Day and that was a blast!) Over here they've cancelled state championships for the last two years. They only play rec. Considering they were in the top half of the states this year I think they're doing a dang good job with the coaching.

I will post before we leave though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad