Another tag question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 9, 2018
Long time lurker, first time poster. Had a play happen reciently that I am not 100% sure of the right call. Runner is in a rundown when the fielder catches her after chasing her for about 20 Ft. Both runner and fielder is running in same direction when fielder applies tag on the runners hip (not in question). As the fielder is tagging the runner she is also tripping and when her glove hits the ground the ball comes loose. Is the runner safe or out? Thank you for any insight you may have.

Jun 22, 2008
It is ultimately going to be umpire judgement, but case plays indicate the fielder must maintain control of the ball through the entire tag. By your description it sounds like the tag happened, and then a subsequent fall to the ground caused the ball to come loose, but would have to see it in real time to make a judgement.

Jan 9, 2018
From the moment the tag was applied until the ground jarred the ball loose, there is no question she had the ball firmly in her glove. When does the out occur? Would it be simalar to dropping the ball during the transfer? Or is there a different rule in force?

Jun 22, 2008
Completely different rule than a catch. As I said, the fielder is required to maintain control of the ball through the tag process. One of the case plays is f3 fielding a ground ball and then runs over to tag the batter/runner. She has control of the ball, tags the runner but then drops the ball, the ruling is the runner is safe, the fielder must maintain control through the tag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2018
From the moment the tag was applied until the ground jarred the ball loose, there is no question she had the ball firmly in her glove. When does the out occur? Would it be simalar to dropping the ball during the transfer? Or is there a different rule in force?

I agree with others who have already responded. Defender must maintain possession of the ball through the tag process. I had nearly identical play Tuesday night. (I was plate umpire in 1-man game) Dropped third. Catcher picks up the ball and goes after the runner who had a long step lead ahead of the catcher. About 10 ft before 1st base, catcher lunges holding ball in the glove. Definitely contacts the runner but immediately I notice yellow ball coming to the ground. Runner safe at 1st and run scores from 3rd because the 3rd out was not made.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking USA, if the fielder is judged to have control of the ball at the time of the tag, it is an out. There is no requirement to "finish" the tag..

Oct 11, 2018
Speaking USA, if the fielder is judged to have control of the ball at the time of the tag, it is an out. There is no requirement to "finish" the tag..
The rule does say touching the runner with the ball held securely in the hand or glove. Ball coming out right after touching/tagging the runner means the ball was not securely held.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rule does say touching the runner with the ball held securely in the hand or glove. Ball coming out right after touching/tagging the runner means the ball was not securely held.

Not necessarily true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy