An unfortunate "experience"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One of the things that's always been great about fastpitch softball has been how fan-friendly it's been at the highest levels. I've watched as members of the Chicago Bandits stood in the rain to sign autographs and talk to fans for as long as those fans wanted to be there. I've seen examples of well-known players (at least in the softball world) make themselves very accessible no matter where they are or what else they happen to be doing.

So it was disappointing to hear the stories of two of my students who attended a recent clinic in Wisconsin. It was billed as an "Experience" and featured a famous player who also happened to be someone both of them admired greatly. Yet it seems like her fame has gone to her head, as her behavior seemed more like a Major League Baseball star rather than a softball player.

My students (and their mothers) told me the famous player spent the entire time talking or texting on her mobile phone. She had no time for the girls, didn't interact with them, and essentially acted the diva. When one of the moms stopped her between calls to thank her for sending some autographed materials to her daughter a couple of years previously, after her daughter had survived a vicious attack by a dog, she said "Oh, my mom did that. I don't get into that stuff" or something to that effect.

Unbelievable. Even if that's true, you smile gracefully and say you were glad to do it. Instead, she treated the encounter more like an inconvenience.

The word from the parents is several people left the clinic before it was over, complaining about the attitude of the star player and asking for their money back. They were completely dissatisfied, and doubtless will tell their friends and teammates to avoid it in the future. That's a shame, too, because I understand there were two other national team players there plus a young lady from the NPF, and all were terrific. But...

The fact is people came because of the star's fame, and her refusal to be a part of her own clinic tainted the experience for many.

Hopefully, that was just an aberration. I'd hate to think our sport is going the way of so many others, where players feel they're too good to mix with the fans who ultimately pay for all they have. If that is the case, imagine what it will be like if and when the players ever start being paid real money instead of the token salaries they get now. We may wish for the good old days of salaries that are less than your typical fast food worker makes.

As for the star, hopefully she was just having a bad day. But I get the feeling that wasn't it. I just hope she realizes the error of her ways before she disappoints any more youngsters who look up to her.

More...

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I haven't met anyone too famous in the softball world (other than Angela Tincher and she was pretty awesome!) but I do have a friend who met a certain famous softball player and said that she wasn't impressed by the way she handled her fans. Living in Virginia, I've been to a couple of softball camps at Virginia Tech which were lead by the girls. I went to camp there the summer after Tincher led Tech to a victory over Team USA. Several of the team members talked about the experience with us kids and stated that the behavior of some of the Team USA players was less than ideal. I was shocked at some of the things they told me and I was glad they were talking to a group of older girls, not the little kids... coulda totally ruined a kid's idea of what her role model was like.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Amanda, I've heard that about a couple of other famous players too. One just sat in a golf cart at an outdoor camp, riding around looking disinterested. Never spoke to any of the attendees, many of whom were probably fans. What a lost opportunity.

Glad you've never had to experience it. When you're a sport struggling for survival at the pro level, or to get back into the Olympics or whatever, being fan-friendly is a critical part of it. The players themselves should learn to enjoy it while they can too. I've come to realize that unlike boys with baseball, girls don't watch a lot of high-level softball on TV, and they don't remember specific players too long after they're done. They don't know the history, either. Most of my students have no clue who Lisa Fernandez is, and she was pretty important to the sport not very long ago.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They also have no idea who Dot Richardson is.

Ken, I have an idea of who you are talking about. If it is the person with the Worth contract and a Toyota contract, those 2 companies would probably like to know about it.

Nov 29, 2009
It's sad to hear about poor behavior from some of the sport's stars. Last summer the Bandits did a promotional game against a minor league ball club in Joliet. Before the game during warm-ups a ball got away from one of the Bandit players and ended up in the stands. It hit a little girl in arm. The player immediately came into the stands to check on the girl. She left and came back with a ball signed by Jenny, Sam Findlay and some of the other players. She stopped for a picture with the girl and then headed back on the field. The little girl while still smarting from the ball was all smiles.

After the game Jenny and the other Bandit players circled the field's entire fence line signing autographs and shaking hands until everyone was satisfied. I also heard from someone else who was at the game, as they were leaving the park Jenny was getting into her car and was gracious enough to stop and pose for a picture with a couple of girls who were leaving. These are the everyday things that never seem to make it to the light of day.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Amanda, I've heard that about a couple of other famous players too. One just sat in a golf cart at an outdoor camp, riding around looking disinterested. Never spoke to any of the attendees, many of whom were probably fans. What a lost opportunity.

Glad you've never had to experience it. When you're a sport struggling for survival at the pro level, or to get back into the Olympics or whatever, being fan-friendly is a critical part of it. The players themselves should learn to enjoy it while they can too. I've come to realize that unlike boys with baseball, girls don't watch a lot of high-level softball on TV, and they don't remember specific players too long after they're done. They don't know the history, either. Most of my students have no clue who Lisa Fernandez is, and she was pretty important to the sport not very long ago.
I know most of the greats, but partly because I'm so involved in softball. It's a shame that the athletes aren't more fan friendly. If you are at a camp, you should be involved with the kids. I would be SO into that if I was in their situation... however, I have to remember that not everyone enjoys teaching little kids as much as I do.

I always love hearing the good things that the athletes do. Like a lot of things, sometimes the good stories never reach people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan