A little rant about umpires and opposing coaches not knowing the rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Yesterday, we were in the finals game of an All-Star tournament and it has become very clear to me and frustrating that a lot of umpires and coaches do not know the ASA rules.

First issue, we are up to bat with runners on 1st and 3rd, opposing team's pitcher starts her wind-up, takes a step to home plate and stops for some reason (i.e. never releases the ball). Umpire calls a "ball" and starts to get ready for the next pitch. I call time and explain to the umpire that by definition this is an illegal pitch and our baserunners should also move up one base scoring the run from third and 1st baserunner should go to 2nd base. He confers with the field umpire and they still only rule that its a called "ball" on batter and the baserunners CANNOT move up one base! I would have protested the ruling but I would have had to stop the game, give the UIC $100 cash deposit (which I would lose if I lost the protest). Since we were up by 2 runs anyways I let it go.

The second issue was the opposing coaches on defense would sit on their buckets in front our their dugout several feet on the dirt field in foul territory and one coach was even standing outside the dugout and giving instructions to his fielders only a few feet away from my 3rd base coach. Additionally, they had their relief pitcher warming up in foul territory but still in the field of play. I asked the umpires to correct the situation and they did very little to stop this.

After the game (which we won by the way) the manager of the other team got in my face and said I was being unsportmanlike for enforcing the rules during the game.

Its just disappointing to me that some coaches don't read the rulebook and some umpires don't enforce the rules. Just had to vent.

Dec 18, 2010
I have been noticing the lack of calls and enforcement lately as well, Batter slapping making contact while both feet out of box, runners running into ball, 3 steps off the base before pitch is released, look back, and illegal pitches not being called and all at a TB tourney.
A few years back the umps in our league weren't calling look back at all. What happened is a lot of our teams got hammered on look back calls at district. Now I think some umps think "awe they're young let this slide" but they are really not doing any favors they are just setting them up for a bad surprise down the road.

Jun 13, 2011
We had a coach on an opposing team do very similar things at a tournament recently - the moment their team was ahead he was calling time outs and conversing with his team (even when they were on defense) and coming out of the dugout, etc. He did all he could to stall so he could win. It was so disappointing to have him use these tactics rather than let the girls play the right way. I also do not like it when a girl illegally pitches and is not corrected. During our Rec League I always talk to the coach first and tell them they need to let their pitcher know what is right and what is wrong. When I brought it up to the league board they said they will not discuss illegal pitches because it is for "Fun". I stressed that if the girls continue to play with the wrong rules or skills they will never be able to continue their softball in ASA or HS, college, etc. If the umpires are not making these calls, it's hard to do much more than hope you never get them again.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Its just disappointing to me that some coaches don't read the rulebook and some umpires don't enforce the rules.

After you fix those problems, I've got a few more for you to work on:

(1) Days over 100 degrees.
(2) The lack of sufficient funds in my checking account no matter how much I make.
(3) Sex scandals by our elected officials.
(4) Birthdays.
(5) Obnoxious professional athletes.
(6) Obnoxious owners of professional teams.

Nov 1, 2009
Don't worry about the things you can't change about others. Instead make sure you aren't one of those people to someone else.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't care at all what other coaches do, I expect them to do whatever, but umps that's anther story.
I understand your point but the head coach sets the tone for their assistant coaches, players, and fans for the whole game and can make the game unpleasant for all involved if they don't know the rules and challenge the umpire and opposing coaches on everything.

For example, in a game last year, one of pitchers hit a batter on the leg who made no attempt to get out of the way of the pitch and was injured, and could not continue her at-bat. The umpire awarded her a ball and not hit-by-pitch and was not allowed first base. The opposing coaches, not knowing the rule, starting calling MY team bush league for not allowing the batter to be awarded first base and used vulgar language directed towards us the rest of the game. This also got their fans worked up in a frenzy, who were feeding off of their head coach's vibe and attitude and assumed that we were doing something worng. All of this drama and confrontation could have easily been avoided had the head coach known the rules and diffuse the situation before it even started. It's just an ugly way for the game to end like that.

So while we shouldn't care what the other coaches do, it does effect the overall tone of the game and the coach has a lot of control over that.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I understand your point but the head coach sets the tone for their assistant coaches, players, and fans for the whole game and can make the game unpleasant for all involved if they don't know the rules and challenge the umpire and opposing coaches on everything.

For example, in a game last year, one of pitchers hit a batter on the leg who made no attempt to get out of the way of the pitch and was injured, and could not continue her at-bat. The umpire awarded her a ball and not hit-by-pitch and was not allowed first base. The opposing coaches, not knowing the rule, starting calling MY team bush league for not allowing the batter to be awarded first base and used vulgar language directed towards us the rest of the game. This also got their fans worked up in a frenzy, who were feeding off of their head coach's vibe and attitude and assumed that we were doing something worng. All of this drama and confrontation could have easily been avoided had the head coach known the rules and diffuse the situation before it even started. It's just an ugly way for the game to end like that.

So while we shouldn't care what the other coaches do, it does effect the overall tone of the game and the coach has a lot of control over that.

Why would the other team blame your team for an umpire decision? There has to be more to the story.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Why would the other team blame your team for an umpire decision? There has to be more to the story.

It happened to my DD's 12u team once. The final pitch of a tournament was a third strike that the other team claims skipped on its way into the catcher's mitt. They umps had walked off the field, game and tourney over. The other team's coach absolutely lost it, bear in mind his player had immediately run back into the dugout and never went to first, until after he called her out of the dugout. So game over, the umps aren't changing their mind especially since they left the field. The coach starts yelling at our team and refused to let his girls shake hands with us (because we were cheaters).

There was an earlier issue he had with the umps that didn't go his way. He was just looking for an opportunity to get his idiot on.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Wow... I have never seen that. I have seen coaches get irate with the umpires but never blame the other team. Heck even this weekend we played a team that wasn't getting breaks from the umpire and they were sure mad, but they never said we were cheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00