8 year old dd swing!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 21, 2011
8 year old dd swing video!!!

Hey guys, new guy here. Been checking out this site for about a month and I really like it! My dd just turned 8 in august and she got on a 10u tb team. She has been with the team for about 4 months now and she just loves it. Her coach suggested that we switch over to batting left handed a few months ago and we have been working really hard on her swing. She's come along way in a short period of time and I believe she sees the ball better from the left side. She definitely hits more consistently from the left. And her power is good also for her age. Ever since we switched I have been taking her to the batting coach two times a week. He is really pleased with her progress as am I. I was wondering if I could get some second opinions on what to work on and what she is or isn't doing right. Thanks.

8 year old hitting ball off tee - YouTube

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
Beast,

That's a great swing for an 8yo. Honestly the only thing I would look to improve is the lower half's coil and uncoil. She does a lot of things well naturally, don't coach it out of her. IMO he has a very bright future if she keeps working as she get's older. Very impressed with her. Don't get too complicated yet, let her body figure some stuff out on it's own.

One more thing, she looks like she lands with a stiff front leg, can't transfer weight properly that way and it causes her to squish the bug. Overall a FANTASTIC swing for her age, nice job.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Gosh, looks like central Illinois, to me. Am I close?

She is fine. Mark the batter's box for her and lay down a home plate. You don't need to buy anything. I use white replacement webbing for a lawn chair, for the lines and just cut the plate out of anything. The poster named Hitter, uses an old bath mat.

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks crankermo for the kind words! Dd is a really hard worker. I like your idea of letting her body kinda figure it all out. She's already 4'9" and 90lbs. She's using a 31/22 rocketech in the video. Her batting coach recommend to us. I thought the length and weight would be way to big for her but it doesn't seem to be. 5 months ago she was batting right handed and using a 29/16.
Are you from the area Amy? We are located in the quadcities on the west central Illinois side. We usually do tee work and soft toss in the garage. I have lines painted on the floor for her. We were just outside testing out our new bow net I recived for christmas. I figured the lighting was a little better out there

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The only thing I would suggest is get her more than 1 ball!!! hehe

Might add take her hands up around top of shoulder

Straightleg

Dec 21, 2011
Lol! She only grabbed one ball to ham it up for the video. I agree with you straightleg, her hands do appear to be a little low in the video. We will work on that also. Thanks for all the great feedback so far. It really is nice to get all these different opinions.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
She's already 4'9" and 90lbs. She's using a 31/22 rocketech in the video. Her batting coach recommend to us. I thought the length and weight would be way to big for her but it doesn't seem to be. 5 months ago she was batting right handed and using a 29/16.

I have players on our team ranging from 4'3" up to 5'1". Our tallest girls swing 31" bats at drop 11-12 range. I do not see much wrong with the bat. However there are some things to watch for. With her weight versus the weight of the bat she could possibly developing some fatigue during BP (b/c of lots of swinging over and over) that could possibly lead to a dropped rear shoulder. That could lead to hitting under the ball rather than in the middle. More pop ups and loss of power in hitting etc... If she can keep swinging like that it seems it would be fine but watch it so she does not drop the rear shoulder too much.
Also, consider her age and the fact that Bat Speed could help with a little more power. Weight versus bat speed can be a fine line to navigate and can be different based on the player. I like to let my DD swing 3-4 bats. (obviously not all 250+ dollars). At this young age I like to find different bats, weights materials and let her work through what feel she likes. I have found some good bats between 80-150 dollars thus allowing me a little more ability to buy 4 bats. Each player will have their own likes and dislikes with a bat. So trying things never hurts especially at this young of an age.
BTW. I am impressed with the Leftie action after only a short time. Good Luck and Enjoy your time with her. These days go by fast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild