40 Feet AGAIN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Would prove how much difference 3 ft can make.

There are those who would say
nah it wouldn't matter much.
But it does!!!
Especially when the pitchers have at the older ages 14u+
by this time developed their skill-set. Finding control and being able to mix it up a little.
The way it is
by moving it back 3 ft the batter's get more time to make a decision.

( considering that adding the leap'ish may or may not actually help pitchers)

Just bring the pitching rubber 3ft closer again.
Since the ball and the bat are now an advantage to the hitters,
why not take away a little more visual time for batters to make a decision.

Balance out the competition.

GO DFP GOT CHAT?!

Jun 8, 2016
Would prove how much difference 3 ft can make.
Of course it would make a difference but what is the point of proving this unless you want to try and make the point that hitters nowadays are not any better than they were 30+ years ago (which I don't believe is true)? My guess is that letting pitchers leap has less to do with tipping the scales back to the pitcher and more about not having to explain why illegal pitches are not being called (eg CYA)

If you want to argue that it would lead to more interesting games with regards to more strategy, etc ok that may be valid but one thing that moving the pitchers closer without changing the ball/bat is now the pitchers have less time to react to balls being hit back at their heads...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
I agree with #pattar. It's pretty rare you see an ump make the call on a leap, so this rule seems to be more about removing any doubt and not necessarily helping pitchers gain an edge. Some might even argue going to 40ft could be less advantageous to pitchers with a lot of movement as there's less distance for the ball to break.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree with #pattar. It's pretty rare you see an ump make the call on a leap, so this rule seems to be more about removing any doubt and not necessarily helping pitchers gain an edge. Some might even argue going to 40ft could be less advantageous to pitchers with a lot of movement as there's less distance for the ball to break.
I am a hashtag now..cool. Am I trending?

Oct 4, 2018
I'm on the side of keep it the same, bats are too hot to move forward and I don't endorse moving back. Take out the leap and lets play ball.

I agree.

Just my opinion and my observation, but the game is working pretty well now. Plenty of strikeouts, plenty of HRs. Scoring seems to be good. I don't see tons of high scoring games and don't see tons of 1-0 games either.

May 1, 2018
We had a game where they forgot to move the rubber, my 13yr old pitcher said something to me, I notified the ump....then none of could get it moved. So we agreed to pitch from 40ft. My pitcher threw 95% fastballs that game and no one could touch her. 3ft can make a world of difference

radness

Dec 13, 2019
NIce read!
Of course it would make a difference but what is the point of proving this unless you want to try and make the point that hitters nowadays are not any better than they were 30+ years ago (which I don't believe is true)?
Point being conversation on adjustments in game for more balanced competition

My guess is that letting pitchers leap has less to do with tipping the scales back to the pitcher and more about not having to explain why illegal pitches are not being called (eg CYA)
!!!! ^^^^^^could be !

If you want to argue that it would lead to more interesting games with regards to more strategy, etc ok that may be valid but one thing that moving the pitchers closer without changing the ball/bat is now the pitchers have less time to react to balls being hit back at their heads...
??? Hmmm possibly could mix in more strategy if pitchers started dominating a little more?!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
We had a game where they forgot to move the rubber, my 13yr old pitcher said something to me, I notified the ump....then none of could get it moved. So we agreed to pitch from 40ft. My pitcher threw 95% fastballs that game and no one could touch her. 3ft can make a world of difference
Thank you Hawk adding that example.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30