3rd base training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Just talked to my DD's new coach and he said 3rd base is open and they'll choose based on who looks the best after seeing all the new girls practice etc... My DD would love to play 3rd if possible and wants to work hard practicing outside of regular practices on that as well as outfield. She hasn't played that position in a year.
Can anyone give me some good drills to work her at specific to that position? Right now we've been doing the Pojol's one hop drill (think that's what it's called), and just hitting balls to her at 3rd and having her throw to 1st. Anything else to fit in a short practice time? I have to save a lot of time for batting:)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwFdR4gluQ[/video]

Hopefully that posts. Being from "mobile" youtube it might not. If not just search youtube for candrea infield drills. Also I would practice lining up to make tags with throws coming from different spot, catcher, lf, cr, rf, and etc. Biggest thing I would practice on is receiving and charging ground balls, making a fast transition and throwing all while staying low.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My 2 cents. Practice throwing from 3rd base distance. Practice fielding bunts. Practice from the ready position (glove down and ready). Most important practice quick release. Remember long throw needs to be real quick, think of a runner going to first,quick. Important to me wear a fielding mask. I want my DD to have a pretty face,not a face like dad.

Oct 10, 2011
Staying low is probably her biggest problem...maybe because she has been playing outfield. I didn't even think about tags, so we'll work on that. I second the face mask and always make her wear one. Her teammate went to the emergency room with a nice shot to the mouth at first base.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As someone pointed out check at Candrea for free on Sportskool. As you field the ball need to stay low when field the ball, and as you get to the throwing position. You don't want your DD fielding the ball, then standing up, then throwing the ball. To much time. Practice getting rid of the ball, like it was on fire.Did I say, quick,quicker, and be the quickest getting the ball to the base.

Sep 17, 2009
My DD plays 3B, what I tell her to focus on is one step either way and then either field ball or dive on hard hit balls. That's a quickness thing, not a footwork thing.

Have her work on cutting off everything she can in front of short stop while get her shoulders square to her throw to first with as smooth a transition as possible. That IS footwork.

Footwork also comes into play with bunts. 3B should be ready to field an area that looks like a lima bean--everything in front of both her AND the pitcher. Footwork to get to ball, cut in to square shoulders BEFORE the catch and step to base and throw in one motion is huge.

Have her work on retreating from a field position to take a throw at third; requires a shuffle that keeps eye on ball/catcher, find base and make tag.

Have her understand what infield fly balls are hers. She should take anything in front of her including calling off pitcher AND catcher for anything she can reach. She'll need to work the fence to the right of her and coordinate with the SS taking balls behind her. A good drop step will get her to balls the shortstop cannot.

I agree with Rdbass, have her do her throwing warmups between 1st and third base when working with you, might as well get her used to distance and angles.

Yes, wear a mask and consider heartguard shirt or strap.

Hands up to field line drives even when (especially when) charging for bunts.

Good luck, have fun.

Oct 10, 2011
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwFdR4gluQ[/video]

Hopefully that posts. Being from "mobile" youtube it might not. If not just search youtube for candrea infield drills. Also I would practice lining up to make tags with throws coming from different spot, catcher, lf, cr, rf, and etc. Biggest thing I would practice on is receiving and charging ground balls, making a fast transition and throwing all while staying low.

Looks like most of them throw side arm...should that be part of the focus when doing the drills? And wow, they make it look easy:)

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Sidearm? Overhand? doesn't make a difference to me as long as the throw is
accurate and on target. I like 3B to have a cannon, it is a long throw to nail the
speedy slapper bunter at the top of the order. Noodle arms need not apply for 3B slot

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Better have a gun of a arm. When ever I throw with my DD(after she is warmed up) I make her throw hard, I try and get her mad at me(not to hard she's a teenager).My DD plays second, when not pitching. She doesn't have the quick release down yet. The feeling of urgent to get rid of the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Looks like most of them throw side arm...should that be part of the focus when doing the drills? And wow, they make it look easy:)

I would not work on sidearm unless her overhand is flawless. I have a great 3b and dd is back up 3b, starting catcher. My
starting 3rd has a howitzer! Dd is getting there. Both have to be reminded a lot to not stand up. Neither throw sidearm or
do I even suggest it yet.
A

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd