3rd base and shortstop throws to 1st base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Howdy,

If you look at the youtube clip at 59 seconds in you see the fielder fields the ball then puts it back in his glove before taking it out again and making the throw to 1st. I see this often in MLB from shortstop and 3rd base before throwing to 1st base. What is the purpose of this, I assume it’s got something to do with getting the body in the right position or is it just a baseball thing, cheers

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
The extra tap with the ball in his glove is a rhythm thing in order to align his body and position himself towards first base. You can see that he didn't field this ball moving towards his target but rather was caught in an "in between" hop. His body was moving towards center field and his left foot was towards the outfield grass, so he had to reposition his feet to make the throw.

When fielding a ground ball, the last 2 steps are right/left, with the left foot moving through towards the target as the ball is being fielded. In a perfect situation, the left foot should be in the air or just about to hit the ground, moving towards the target as the ball is fielded. Below are a few links to help you get a feel for what I'm talking about.

My business Partner Bobby Tewksbary wrote this article
Evan Longoria Plays at Third Base Explained

Cone Drill: Get a feel for moving towards the target. Last two steps are right/left, unless they are a lefty then it's left/right.
Cone Drill – Infield

Fungos at SS: Watch close for the right/left and see that the left foot is coming through as the ball is being fielded in rhythm.
Fungos at Shortstop

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, email me at austin@abathletics.com

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that the first basemen are switching out, also. So, they are waiting for him to get to the bag. I wouldn't suggest fielding like Castro does. IIRC, he had an enormous amount of errors, last year - especially at throwing. He is a hitting phenom, though and is very young. I will never forget him standing at SS and eating seeds, last year.

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the replies. So is the extra tap into the glove something that is taught in junior softball?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The extra tap into the glove isn't (shouldn't be) taught in softball at all, there is just not enough time for it since the runner only has to go 60' vs 90' in baseball.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
The focus should be on the footwork and not so much on the glove tap. Of course, time will be lost with an extra tap so this shouldn't be taught as Coach-n-Dad mentioned above. If their footwork is correct, there should be no need for a glove tap anyways. The ball will dictate what you do. Forehands, backhand, balls to your left, slow rollers directly at you, slow rollers to your left, slow rollers to your right will all have specific footwork. Starting and finishing Double plays at each position will also have specific footwork. These need to be taught correctly...

I've been around ASA, Varsity and JV practices/games over the past few years in the northeast for all age groups and I still don't see the proper footwork being taught correctly, or even taught at all. If anyone wants to discuss more on footwork at specific bases I would be more than happy to talk.

but yea, not glove tap is needed.

It is just a timing thing when he has time. If it was a slow roller with a fast runner he would not tap his glove again. It is also a mechanism that forces you to take your time and make a good throw which is something that is always emphasized on a hard it ball. In FP you simply do not have the time unless it is a really hotshot and you make a great stab then the runner is basically only two or three steps down the line take your time gather yourself and make a good throw, how many times have we seen the great stab on a hotshot followed by a bad throw.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Howdy,

If you look at the youtube clip at 59 seconds in you see the fielder fields the ball then puts it back in his glove before taking it out again and making the throw to 1st. I see this often in MLB from shortstop and 3rd base before throwing to 1st base. What is the purpose of this, I assume it’s got something to do with getting the body in the right position or is it just a baseball thing, cheers

I think it is b/c they have so stinkin' long to make a throw they can take their time....reset and make a throw..
And not relevant to softball...no time to add this extra movement....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA