14yo need help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
A walk through drill is taught to step style pitchers

If you are saying walk throughs are not or should not be used by leap and drag pitchers I say you are wrong.

This girl is rushing through her run through, rushing leads to bad mechanics. Master walk throughs then move on to run throughs to help build explosiveness.

Slower = Smoother, Smoother = better mechanics, better mechanics leads to better form, better form leads to becoming a better pitcher.

Your all out combat style mentality doesnt fit all cases.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If you are saying walk throughs are not or should not be used by leap and drag pitchers I say you are wrong.

This girl is rushing through her run through, rushing leads to bad mechanics. Master walk throughs then move on to run throughs to help build explosiveness.

Slower = Smoother, Smoother = better mechanics, better mechanics leads to better form, better form leads to becoming a better pitcher.

Your all out combat style mentality doesnt fit all cases.

So doing the backswing during a walk through or run through drill is OK with you?? I said something similar to your quote in 1999, in my first book. You have the order wrong. "When the mechanics are correct, the pitching motion is very easy. When it is easier to throw, it is easier to throw faster".

How does anything I have said here equal an "all out combat style mentality"??

Aug 2, 2008
So doing the backswing during a walk through or run through drill is OK with you??

I said nothing of backswing, thats your deal.... But.... in a walk through then yes a back swing is a good idea, however they bring the ball back when they are pitching is probablay ideal, why would that change just because they are doing a walk through?
On a run through, I have no opinion, I havent thought about it that much. To me run throughs are for kids to generate arm speed, explosive legs, explosive drive. In other words I see walk throughs and run throughs as two different drills.

You have the order wrong. "When the mechanics are correct, the pitching motion is very easy. When it is easier to throw, it is easier to throw faster

OK????

How does anything I have said here equal an "all out combat style mentality"??

Perception. I have read your posts for several years. That is how I perceive you.

This is not the first time I have noticed you twist, add to, take out of context, someones post.

BTW, slow is a relative term. A 65 mph pitch is slower than a 70 mph pitch.....Slower is smoother and smoother is faster.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I use the run/walk through drill with my DD to develop momentum off the mound. We are trying to increase arm speed and distance from the rubber. She actually takes a small walk type step to get going. Then she explodes into the run. I think she would struggle with a backswing in this drill. I was actually considering doing the drill for longer periods. She currently throws about 10-15 pitches this way in warmups. She is a good 5 mph faster in the drill than off the rubber. If we ever figure out how to generate the same power from the rubber, she will take a big step in her progression as a pitcher. I enjoy the differing opinions on the drill. Hope we can keep the discussion going in a positive way.

Feb 4, 2009
We use the run-thrus as a drill to help her explosiveness which she struggled w/ this summer. Hal, we will experiment w/ starting w/out the backswing during those.

Sluggers, what i have been having her do to try and str8ten her arm is a couple different things besides just emphasizing a nice extended(not locked) arm on t/k drills, i have her do two rotations and throw on the 3rd and have also had her go thru her motion w/out a ball and clap(touch) her hands at full glove-hand extension toward the catcher. I feel like these are helping as her arm looks quite a bit better than it did a couple wks ago where at 12oclock it was basically laid over across her head.

Again any input would be appreciated and hopefully I can get some vid of her pitching motion up in a couple days.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
What drills would be good to correct the bent arm problem? My daughter was throwing 56-58 consistent. Arm is now bent during arm circle she has lost velocity and accuracy. I think it came from trying to throw too hard. She has been taught the Club K style of pitching emphasizing being smooth and loose. She almost seems to be trying to give 110% instead of 100%.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Screwball- To me, a walk through is simply the pitcher taking a slow steady step towards the catcher. There would be no dragging of the pivot foot. I believe what is being referred to as a run through would be when the pitcher is working on moving everything quicker towards the catcher. You would now have a much longer stride and there would be dragging of the pivot foot. I think the slower walk through would be good for working on things like opening up the hips and shoulders. The run through is designed more to add speed and leg drive. At least that is how we use the two. Actually, we hardly ever do walk through's now. Once my DD got her mechanics in line, it has become more about explosiveness.

Aug 2, 2008
If I had to choose one person on this board who has opened the most eyes it would be boardmember. In my first post there is a link that says carolina walk thrus, its a thread from a couple years ago in which he posted a short gif of a student of his doing a walk thru. From what I understand this was an accomplished D1 pitcher, still doing walk thrus, dragging her pivot foot, and yes, get ready to gasp, there is a backswing. joemcq51 IMO you were right in making sure your daughters mechanics were in line first.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
flamethrower...can she play pitch and catch underhanded? Just a nice, simple slow pitch and catch? No funny windups, no slapping the leg, no bend over, just catch the ball and throw it back underhanded with you standing up and about 40 feet from her? If so, then have her play pitch and catch underhanded and have her emphasize the "point" (both arm fully extended and pointing at catcher) at 3 and the "reach" (right arm fully extended and straight) at 12.

Also, so half frames with the starting position being "reaching for the sky" at 12.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd