12U Catchers Mitt - What to get advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
Okay I have a daughter that is 12 and has moved up to back up catcher on the A team in school ball - starting catcher on B team in school ball and back up for the travel team. The coach is the same for both teams and said his plains are to start her next year. She is using a mizuno fielding glove and is doing quit well but said her thumb is starting to hurt.

My question is what size should I get her? The sports shops around here are out on the shielfs and she needs one pretty quick. Her grandfather ordered her a Mizuno GXS31 but it is like a 34 or 34.5 mitt I my concerned it may be to big for her hands.

She is around 5' 1'' and around 100 to 105 pounds.... I would like if she could use this new mitt for the next few years Grow into some).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The overall size of the mitt doesn't directly correlate to the way it will fit.
AFAIK all the Mizuno's fit the same way, so if the one on the shelf fits you should be OK. There are other "what glove" threads in the catching forum that may have specific suggestions for small-handed individuals.
I really like the "Classic Fastpitch" series Mizuno's, like GXS31, but they take 3-4 weeks to break in. Less with steam I hear.

Apr 1, 2010
My 12 yr old DD is about 5'1"-5'2" and ~120 lbs. She has a Mizuno GXS92 and it fits her well. I'm not positive, but I think the GXS31 would have a comparable fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma