120 seam 12" ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
DD played her first 12u fall ball tournament this weekend. They used a 120 seam 12" ball that has very smooth seams. We played a fair amount of 10u tourneys at this park earlier this year and the 11" balls were "normal", with 58 very nice fat seams. :)

DD pitches, and likes a nice fat seam like a Baden or Worth Dream Seam etc.

Anyone ran across these before?

Jun 19, 2013
Was it a NAFA tournament? There balls used to suck but seemed to be better quality this past summer then previous years.

Dec 27, 2014
Was it a NAFA tournament? There balls used to suck but seemed to be better quality this past summer then previous years.
Yep, NAFA. We will be there all month. I suppose it just seems odd to me, curious if anyone had a reason for using these over a standard ball that everyone practices with? :)

DD threw fine. A few more womky throws than normal but was probably more that it was her first games at 40' than smoother seamed ball - though she did mention she was not a fan of the ball after the games.

Jun 19, 2013
My guess was that they were cheap. My DD hated them too, she was relieved this past summer when we were there that they seemed to have upgraded. Maybe fall tourneys they regress.

May 17, 2014
Buy a variety of balls and make her use them at practice- high seam, low seams, leather, synthetic, different brands etc…. It made a huge difference with my DD.
She was becoming a ball snob, but now she'll pitch a rock if that's what they give her.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Buy a variety of balls and make her use them at practice- high seam, low seams, leather, synthetic, different brands etc…. It made a huge difference with my DD.
She was becoming a ball snob, but now she'll pitch a rock if that's what they give her.

I do the same! Only took me watching one tournament game come to a grinding halt to watch them fish a ball out of overhead netting for a circle princess to decide my DD wasn't going to rely on having "that ball"

During practice, I have 2-4 different types of balls at my feet that I'll change out and throw back to my DD randomly so she rarely gets to throw the same ball more than three times in a row. I was initially worried about her consistency, but she overcame and adjusted to it pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30