11yo swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Dragon ... here's a side view. See if you see the posture being set dynamically. I duplicated a few frames to help highlight the difference between her initial posture and her posture prior to rotation.

282ud2.gif

This example seems to tilt as she goes into her load. both laterally and rotationally upward, which I dont see the young lady needing help doing. Do you think it is better to start out with some lateral tilt over the plate or to be more upright?

Jun 3, 2009
...She should feel the weight evenly distributed on both legs with more weight on the inside of her feet.
... When she picks up her lead foot to stride her weight should not go backwards.
Her weight is getting much too far back.
I'm sure this is due to my not fully grasping the concept, but I've heard variations of this comment said many times and have never been able to make sense of it. If you start in an "athletic stance" (feet wider than shoulders, knees inside feet, weight evenly distributed) you HAVE to shift your weight back to lift your front foot. She's got very good balance, having had a fair amount of martial arts and gymnastics training, so I'm confident she can do what is asked of her if I can describe it adequately. But, asking her to do a one-legged horse stance is not likely to go over well...

It seems that many of the girls in the videos start with much more weight back initially.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2009
My fault on the height of the tee... the girl before her was much taller. She corrected her position within a swing or two as seen from the view behind the plate. Remember also that I swapped bats on her, giving her one about four inches shorter than what she's been using... which partially explains why her setup didn't leave her in a position to fully cover the plate.

The first video shows her trying to get the "feel" of loading her rear hip. You can see her moving her knee in and out as well as squatting a little lower and rising up higher than her normal position. I'm still looking for a good way to describe coiling to her. One side effect of her attempts was that she ended up taking a much longer stride than normal. I'm not convinced that's helpful but figured it counterproductive to worry about at the time.

This discussion may have to turn theoretical for a short while since mother nature decided to see what a bout of the flu would do to her swing mechanics.

Again, I greatly appreciate the observations, comments and suggestions.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
WU ... there is a "negative move".

IMO, the negative move should translate towards “hip cock”, a loading of the rear hip flexor, in a direction towards the rear butt cheek. I personally believe the reason people refer to this as "Coil", is because there is first a movement backwards, quickly followed by a movement towards the rear butt cheek ... so it looks like a 'winding' or 'coiling'. The prize, IMO, is the 'hip cock' .... and when I hear people speak of not performing a negative move, I assume that they are stressing "hip cock" over an over emphasis of the initial negative move back towards the catcher.

p.s.
Do you have an update for me? I especially want to see your daughter's swing plane when swinging at a ball placed lower on the tee. Depending on the result, we may have to backtrack a slight bit ... but that's not a negative, because the result would be considerably more zip on the ball at contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here's a few examples ....

Below is Gomez of ULL … her lateral movement back to the catcher is slight, and translates quickly into loading of the rear hip flexor in a direction towards her lower butt cheek.

1597vr.gif

Compare that to the “scrunching” action by Molly Goza of Louisianna Tech ….

9rps2b.gif

Oct 12, 2009
I'm sure this is due to my not fully grasping the concept, but I've heard variations of this comment said many times and have never been able to make sense of it. If you start in an "athletic stance" (feet wider than shoulders, knees inside feet, weight evenly distributed) you HAVE to shift your weight back to lift your front foot. She's got very good balance, having had a fair amount of martial arts and gymnastics training, so I'm confident she can do what is asked of her if I can describe it adequately. But, asking her to do a one-legged horse stance is not likely to go over well...

It seems that many of the girls in the videos start with much more weight back initially.

As someone else suggested, I prefer just picking up the front foot, not swaying back and then lifting up the front foot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1