“The New Bats Are So Fragile”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I dont think the people want to admit when they dont hit the barrel very often, lol, and hit the throat or the end cap, and think thats the bats fault. I have a big girl for a daughter who straight mashes and have had very few problems with any bats. One here or there, but nothing major. And we have lots of bats, from all companies virtually.

May 21, 2018
My experience is the bat gets crunchy sounding, I look at it hard and find the beginnings of sharks teeth and from there on out it gets really good.... They can last for months like that, it’s a shame they are getting sent back at that point.

Do you have to worry about an ump. throwing the bat out of the game? My DD's ghost hit great in that condition, but I wouldn't let her use it in games. Maybe I screwed up.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you have to worry about an ump. throwing the bat out of the game?
Yes..that said I can count on one hand the number of tournaments where umpires check the bats ahead of time. USSSA Nationals is the only times I can remember. If the bat looks like that I would make sure DD has another bat in her bag which she is comfortable using.

Dec 11, 2010
Nope- even at nationals I had a backup but never had one tossed.

Cant count on that though- which really blows.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I agree the GA white paint gets paint cracks that people fuss about that just ain’t nothing. I’d like to be able to go through the Easton bins too, bet some of those bats are just gettin’ good.

OMG yes...also their slowpitch bins...I would be able to pull out so many that are just paint and on fire

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
She definitely had some paint cracking on the GA and I have a feeling that's a lot of what people are seeing. Most people who bring me their DD's bats to show me how it is broken either have paint cracks or they feel like the connection is "loose". It's almost never actually broken. Most still send it in and get a replacement. Don't get me wrong, I have seen a few snapped in half.

I have been saying this for a very long time. Parents go home and clean bats after every tourney and inspect the things
with a fine tooth comb...haha. They see these paint cracks and get all crazy...and if you never saw paint cracks before...you would be
worried. I have seen them in slowpitch for years and years so its not a big deal.
Then they wanna replace them right away. And Easton will replace...they don't even look much...they toss to the side and send a
new one.
I have had many people send me a text of pics...and even though I tell them they are paint...argue with me and want to send back
I tell them do what you want...its not my decision...but why waste a warranty over it and why send me a pic if you are doing
it anyway....hahaha.
I will bet a very big number of returns are paint...just my opinion and always will be. Not saying there arent a decent number of breaks as any bat can break, just not as much as portrayed.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Do you have to worry about an ump. throwing the bat out of the game? My DD's ghost hit great in that condition, but I wouldn't let her use it in games. Maybe I screwed up.

There are a few degrees of sharktoothing. If you can see the outline of a sharktooth. Its getting good and can last
a long time or not. When the sharktooth actually pops thru and you can feel it splitting up thru the paint...then its about to blow.

No ump will toss the beginning of a sharktooth because you cant even feel it on the bat. Its when it pops thru is if they
run their hands down the bat they can feel it...and I don't suggest ever running your hands down a composite bat
looking for cracks...can be a bad idea :)

May 21, 2018
What about something like this? Popping up through the paint, but still hit fine, at least for awhile.

Honestly though, my DD is a rule follower to the extreme so there is zero chance she would have used a bat she thought might get tossed.

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 32

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would have hit it more...depending on how much time your warranty had left on it. Obviously if your warranty had a couple weeks left or a month send it in. NEVER not take advantage of the free bat!!! ( i know that was a double neg :))

May 22, 2015
Illinois
So DD’s dual stamp Ghost got warranty replaced for wobble at the connection point. An ump tossed it at a tournament last fall. It was hot as fire but the wobble was pretty bad. One other girl on the team had the same issue with the same bat. Another had the barrel fly completely off of the handle of a dual stamp. I think another 2 or 3 girls had cracks in theirs and had them replaced. While I do see more issues with the Ghosts than other bats, I also see more girls swinging them. Easton seems so good about warranty replacements I think it keeps people coming back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck