Youth football team missing $1000s.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Missing money threatens Tucson Youth Football team | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Any time I speak to a start up group of parents wanting to get into TB, I warn them of the dangers of just handing over money. Certain precautions need to be in place to assure that the money is being used for the team. Parents tell me that they never see an accounting of what is spent where, how much money exists and who owns the equipment. I know of one right now, that disbanded and the coach kept the equipment.

I used to say that parents need to see a treasurer's report, each month, but then, someone told me that you need to actually see the documentation (bank receipts.)

There are several cases that I have read about where volunteers have stolen up to $40,000 from youth leagues. They went to prison.

Jun 24, 2013
I never tried to drill under the excel spreadsheet, our League and organization will happily tell you were all the money is going. Your right though that even though the spreadsheet says the money is there who knows?

We certainly have not had any Issues.

I know of one right now, that disbanded and the coach kept the equipment.

Unfortunately I have more equipment then the Team does anyways. I need to buy a bigger truck.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
My wife has a knack of raising money and in the past has raised rather large sums of money for ball teams. In the past we have paid for uniforms, equipment, tournaments and trips to the World Series. One thing we try and spend it all on the kids, if money is left over we usually make a donation to the local HS softball team, or one of the teams that plays in the Challenger League for handicap kids.

I don’t know if anyone has been a part of the Challenger League for handicap kids but a very worthy cause.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
We raised a couple of hundred dollars from a yard sale. I clearly let everyone know how much we raised and sent out texts and emails. We ended up having about 80 bucks left after everything was paid off. I took the girls out to a local baseball game.

Always spend the money on the team.........

Jul 2, 2013
Ha ... Ha ... Ha ... this thread makes me laugh.

Try to find out where the $$$ goes with big org's ... good luck.

The best players don't pay their full share. The marginal players on the #2 team looking desperately for a scholly pays FULL SHARE.

You all have a bunch to learn. The lesson is ... watch your OWN money. Judge your OWN players potential. Put them on a team that fits !!!!

My pocket has been picked in softball. I learned. Mostly your pocket gets picked when you are desperate to get your DD a scholarship!!! The ones that can get a scholarship ON TALENT ... do not have to pay much .... Trust Me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing