What's the most absurd thing a parent has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
Just curious.

I actually have the most completely awesome parents this season, but have had some DOOZIES in the past...

This came right after a game where we won 15-2, in an undefeated season: 8U...yes, EIGHT-U....
"I can't believe you aren't yelling at her more than you do!! She only gets better when she's yelled at!"

Oct 22, 2009
My son's T-ball team = parent said "Why is my son playing pitcher? He's going to hurt the team, stick him the outfield!"
10u rec softball = parent, "Why isn't my daughter a starter in the infield?" "She's a phenomenal athlete, I know this because I coach her soccer team and she's my goalie!"

How about most absurd thing a coach ever said.
My DH was an assistant coach to my son's LL team. Head coaches kid was horrible! But he batted first and pitched. We never won a game.
Head coach gets sick and DH takes over team. Sticks coaches kid in the outfield and down in the batting order. We win every game without the head coach.
Head coach comes back and you think he'd be okay with the winning but NO. He say's, "I signed up to coach for MY kid" "These games are for MY kid!"
I had always heard of coaches in it just for their own kid, but this was the first time I actually had a parent admit he didn't care about any kid on that field but his own.

Mar 15, 2010
Since moving to travel ball the absurd/stupid parent comments have gone down to a trickle. In rec ball, however, they would be a flood at times. My top 3 in order from most absurd.

1. "Can you ask your daughter not to throw so hard?" Now this comment would not be so absurd if it occurred in the right scenario. For example, a second baseman who guns the ball to first from 10 feet away. That, however, was not the case. My DD was pitching and her daughter was catching.

2. "My daughter does not like to bat, can she skip it?" Um, no. League rules, bat around.

3. "My daughter has always been on the all-star team?" This was from a second year 8U parent.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was advertising for awhile that I took beginning pitching students. I had a mom of an 11YO, say to me, "Oh, she isn't a beginner. She has pitched 3 years."

I changed the wording on my advertisement.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
As a freshman DD played HS varsity at SS, and batted cleanup.

At a game, another players dad who hasnt been to any games before that yr comes up and starts talking about the SS. Says how great his senior daughter in CF is, how she has always played SS before. She was late to the season due to basketball, he's sad she had to come in and take someones place , etc. Says doesnt know what the coach is doing putting that girl there at SS, shes playing too close to 3B, etc.( He used to coach a rec ball team, so he knows!) About that time DD lays out horizontally for a stretch catch of a line drive near 2B, catches it, gets up and makes throw back to 1B for double play. He notices and says"that was a good catch". Continues to talk about how good his daughter is, how shes the best on the team, etc.

My DD comes up to bat, guy is back, saying eveything shes doing wrong, she should square around more and shed do better. Off of a very good pitcher she lines one to the fence. He gets quiet and goes away.

Next time my DD is batting hes back talking about her. Saying again how shes battiing wrong, etc. She tags a homerun over left center and he gets quiet again. He turns and asks me which one is my daughter. I just smile and say "the SS". Hes speechless, doesnt know what to say, turns and walks away.

Oct 15, 2009
Well, I had a 12u travel player tell me that mom and dad thought she should be playing infield and batting every game. I told her that I would be glad to discuss that with them after the game. After listening to 1 hour of my daughter is better than almost every kid on the team, I finally gave them this explanation, I bat my 10 best batters and field my 9 best defensive players and right now in my opinion your DD is not in either of those lists, we will continue to work with her and you could help by working with her at home. Of course they left the team and all the parents said they had bad mouthed me all season. Good kid, unrealistic parents, happens all too often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs