What's more important...Camps, Showcase Tournaments, or Travel Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Just wanting to get opinions from others on this. DD was playing on a 16u team this summer that was full of talent. That team folded after 4 years and she is on a new team now. Her new team is not as talented as her previous team, but she girls are competitive players and I love that they never quit. DD gets more mound time and bats in the 2 spot where she was in the 7,8,or 9 spot on previous team. I really like the coach and the parents are good too.

Anyway, I have a thought that in most cases it doesn't matter too much about what travel team you play for as long as they are competitive and do attend some of the showcases and larger tournaments in your area. I think the TB team you play with can matter if your coach/organization has lots of connections, etc. I think it is a rare occurrence for you to go to a showcase and a coach just happens to see you and you are doing something good.

I am thinking the camps are the best way to be seen and develop a relationship with a coach. From that point, the coach comes to watch you play in showcases/tournaments. I know everyone's experience is different, but what do you think is the most important....travel team, tournaments, or camps?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Attend showcases. E-mail college coaches inviting coaches. College coach attends showcase sees DD play/pitch. College coach likes what he/she sees. Exchange of e-mails, college visits, & offer is made. Simple as that.:eek:
Camps to me are a waste of money. JMHO.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The short answer is "it depends"....

Showcases are great, but as they have become more popular the organizers added teams and fields as fast as they can, which spreads the coaches thin. When my DD played on a 16U Tier-2 organization we would get into the showcases (paying $1200-1500 as an entry fee), but we ended up playing another obscure team on a remotely located field and felt like the outcasts from the Omega House Fraternity Rush Party in "Animal House", while the marquee teams played each other in "spotlight games" on the main fields.

Animal House - Omega Rush Party.jpg

If your DD wants to play for a top level D1 it would be beneficial to be on an marquee team with other D1 players. For D2 and D3 I think you have a good chance of being seen on a Tier-3 TB organization.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
The short answer is "it depends"....

Showcases are great, but as they have become more popular the organizers added teams and fields as fast as they can, which spreads the coaches thin. When my DD played on a 16U Tier-2 organization we would get into the showcases (paying $1200-1500 as an entry fee), but we ended up playing another obscure team on a remotely located field and felt like the outcasts from the Omega House Fraternity Rush Party in "Animal House", while the marquee teams played each other in "spotlight games" on the main fields.

View attachment 8941

If your DD wants to play for a top level D1 it would be beneficial to be on an marquee team with other D1 players. For D2 and D3 I think you have a good chance of being seen on a Tier-3 TB organization.

DD doesn't have her heart set on D1. I think talent wise she is probably more D2 or D3. We went to a camp this summer and the AC at the college came up to me and talked to me about DD. Basically said she liked her, DD is on her radar, and to send her DDs schedule and for DD to keep in touch. This school is in DD's top 3. I don't think this school will travel to where we live to watch her play (about 15 hours apart) so we are going to camps and showcase camps that they will be attending. DDs team will play in other states but we won't go across the country. We live in the south and this is an Ivy League school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD doesn't have her heart set on D1. I think talent wise she is probably more D2 or D3. We went to a camp this summer and the AC at the college came up to me and talked to me about DD. Basically said she liked her, DD is on her radar, and to send her DDs schedule and for DD to keep in touch. This school is in DD's top 3. I don't think this school will travel to where we live to watch her play (about 15 hours apart) so we are going to camps and showcase camps that they will be attending. DDs team will play in other states but we won't go across the country. We live in the south and this is an Ivy League school.

What part of the South? I know a lot of college coaches attend the Legacy Showcase in Atlanta including some Ivy League schools, so that would be a good one to try to get into if the coaches will be there. I would also recommend having your DD contact the coaches of the schools she is interested in to ask where they will be recruiting this summer. The could be opportunities to play pickup on a team that is playing where your target coaches will be.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are also two big showcases in Atlanta November 6th - 8th- Champions and Southern Force. OnDeck is also hosting their East Coast National Elite camp Nov 5th and 6th in Atlanta. There will be TONS of college coaches in Atlanta that weekend!

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
There are also two big showcases in Atlanta November 6th - 8th- Champions and Southern Force. OnDeck is also hosting their East Coast National Elite camp Nov 5th and 6th in Atlanta. There will be TONS of college coaches in Atlanta that weekend!

JAD, I am over in SC. I think our coach is planning on attending the Atlanta Legacy next year. Our team is first year 14u, but playing 16u. I think he wants to wait until next year to take them to some larger tournaments. I didn't know about the other camps/showcases you mentioned. Is there a good place online that lists the ones you mentioned in the ATL area? Thanks for your help!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD, I am over in SC. I think our coach is planning on attending the Atlanta Legacy next year. Our team is first year 14u, but playing 16u. I think he wants to wait until next year to take them to some larger tournaments. I didn't know about the other camps/showcases you mentioned. Is there a good place online that lists the ones you mentioned in the ATL area? Thanks for your help!

Here are links to the big ones in November. The Southern Force in Watkinsville is more prestigious and harder to get in. Champions has open registration. OnDeck is an individual skills showcase in case any of your players are interested. My DD had a great experience with OnDeck, but the format benefits flame throwing pitchers and big bats more than speed and defense. I would not kill yourself to play these as a 14U team, but would consider Champions/Southern Force. the Atlanta Legacy, and Scenic City in Chattanooga as mandatory for 16U teams with players that want to play at the next level.

Champions Elite Fall Showcase

Savvy Softball - Southern Force Fall Showcase Nov. 6-8, 2015**This event is currently full. To reqest an application to be on the waiting list please email

https://ondecksoftball.net/camps/schedule/east-coast-national-elite-camp-115615

Oct 17, 2014
I've been meaning to start a thread on this topic.........college coaches send out a ton of invites to their camps. But the smaller "elite prospect camps" are becoming very popular with the D1's. The reason is that it gives these coaches the opportunity to work in a smaller group with athletes that they are interested in. So, if a college coach makes it known to the athlete or the travel coach that they are very interested in the player attending one of these camps and they are limiting the number of registrations, take notice. It's very dicey for a college coach to strongly urge a player who may be coming from a long distance to spend money on registration, gas, food, hotel to attend the camp. But these types of camps play a big role in determining who is going to get scholarship offers. Also, several kids are turning down these invitations to attend these prospect camps because their travel team has a tournament that weekend. I know for a FACT, that kids are missing out on potential scholarship opportunities because they are choosing their travel team over the camp invite. Do your homework--if you're not sure how serious the camp invitation is, ask more questions. Or have your travel coach ask. College coaches will be sincere in how interested they are if you ask the right questions. If they have never seen you play and you get an invitation to a camp, than it is strictly that, an invitation that everyone gets.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
At 16u they should do a least one or two showcases and other regular tournaments. 18U should be one regular tournament to warm up and get ready for College Showcases.
Also there are plenty of individual showcases to choose from depending on where you live. One of my players did one in upstate NY and also went to a 1 day camp where they were put through drills and also videotaped and the tape (if that's what they call it these days) was sent to her for her to show to college coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06