What’s the Deal with the Colored Tape on Catchers’ Chest Protectors?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If you were watching the Women’s College World Series in 2023 and/or 2024 you no doubt noticed that Oklahoma’s catchers had a piece of blue or red tape affixed to their chest protectors. I have heard some interesting explanations as to what it might be. One is that it’s some sort of enlarged target for […]

More...

Nov 7, 2022
I saw a thing about this somewhere. Supposedly they use different colors as a method to calm the pitcher. So blue is a a calming color. Red or orange might be a different thing. Some psychology to it I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I saw a thing about this somewhere. Supposedly they use different colors as a method to calm the pitcher. So blue is a a calming color. Red or orange might be a different thing. Some psychology to it I’m sure.

I think there is a little more to it than that but TBH I'm not 100% sure how it works at this point. Hoping to learn more when I take the live class, where they go into it in more detail. I do know it relates to the rods and cones, not just psychology, but haven't heard a true scientific explanation of why only red and blue and how they relate to an athlete's motor preferences.

Nov 7, 2022
I think there is a little more to it than that but TBH I'm not 100% sure how it works at this point. Hoping to learn more when I take the live class, where they go into it in more detail. I do know it relates to the rods and cones, not just psychology, but haven't heard a true scientific explanation of why only red and blue and how they relate to an athlete's motor preferences.

Report back! I want to try it out for my girls!

Jan 1, 2024
My guess is its a conjured-up attention-getter that will have a psychological effect for a while. Good coaches are always looking for little gimmics that give their athletes any possible advantage. In this case, it yields a positive effect on the team that dreamed it up and a negative effect on opponents who now think they are at a disadvantage because they are not doing it!

May 29, 2015
I’m with @dogpatch .

Anything has a short term psychological effect when attention is called to it. Breathing in means one color calms you and breathing out means another, so a certain color piece of tape is going to make you play better … sounds like snake oil to me.

I used to try to drink an Orange Minute Maid soda before every game. The games when I didn’t, I didn’t play as well. Or so my brain told me. Bring back Orange Minute Maid soda so your power hitters can bang and your catchers can gun the run!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach