USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's not USSSA...it's whoever locally is putting on the tournament. That's definitely at the higher end of gate fees, and I've not been anywhere that didn't have a senior and even a military/veteran discount.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
It's not USSSA...it's whoever locally is putting on the tournament. That's definitely at the higher end of gate fees, and I've not been anywhere that didn't have a senior and even a military/veteran discount.
Yeah, in the Seattle area I’ve never paid a gate fee for USSSA, or any other sanction that I can remember.

May 17, 2012
Not all tournaments charge a gate fee. Tell her coach to stop scheduling tournaments with excessive gate fees. Have the coach provide feedback to the tournament director concerning the gate fees.

Vote with your dollars.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The complex or director charges the fee, not the sanctioning body. The only time we paid a gate fee at a USSSA event was at the Nationals in MD or at a beautiful complex on LI. Then again, most of the local complexes are total dumps with no concession stands or bathrooms, so I have no idea how they could charge a gate fee.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am a 78 year old veteran and member of the men's fastpitch hall of fame. I would like to attend all of my 14 year old granddaughter's games but USSSA charges $15 a person to attend. I have asked for some consideration and attempted to contact regional directors to no avail. Suggestions?
Nothing to do with USSSA - very much whoever is running the tournament or the field complex or whatever.

What to do? Every tournament is a choice by their team - they can play under a different sanction or a different region or teams can organize their own scrimmage tournament if you have fields. Really up to your daughters coaches/organization what they want for the team.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I am a 78 year old veteran and member of the men's fastpitch hall of fame. I would like to attend all of my 14 year old granddaughter's games but USSSA charges $15 a person to attend. I have asked for some consideration and attempted to contact regional directors to no avail. Suggestions?
Attended the USSSA National Convention a few years back.....at the opening ceremony the guest speakers speech was all about how to make money off of the sport. Have cared for USSSA. All of them around here charge a $15/day gate fee to watch C level crappy softball.......and there is a line at every gate because parents are stupid enough to pay it. The level we have around here isn't any better than the leagues are. And they only charge $3.00.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Nothing to do with USSSA - very much whoever is running the tournament or the field complex or whatever.

What to do? Every tournament is a choice by their team - they can play under a different sanction or a different region or teams can organize their own scrimmage tournament if you have fields. Really up to your daughters coaches/organization what they want for the team.
Marriard, not sure where you're from but in our area the tournament directors who are all USSSA tournament directors are the ones who set the fee. They pay rent to use the fields. They set the gate fee. They set the tournament fee. They are the ones that collect all the money and make all the money. Put it in the pocket and go home.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Marriard, not sure where you're from but in our area the tournament directors who are all USSSA tournament directors are the ones who set the fee. They pay rent to use the fields. They set the gate fee. They set the tournament fee. They are the ones that collect all the money and make all the money. Put it in the pocket and go home.
And like any service, if enough people care enough, they will go out and establish competition.
It isn't even hard - you just have to have the people who are willing to put in the work.

In just the years my DD played travel in Florida, NSA & ISF got ran over by USSSA for lower travel and ASA/USA got decimated by PGF (which only took 6 months). Both brought better product that people wanted. I am sure it will cycle again. Seeing signs already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805