Used bats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2023
I’m looking for a good used bat for my daughter. She’s in 8u, probably 10u in the spring. There are too many bats to pick from. Can you knowledgeable folks list a few bats / models from the last few years that I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2018
Mizuno bats are reasonable in cost, pretty durable and perform well.

It's no ghost, but it's much cheaper and typically more durable

Plus Mizuno bat weights tend to be very close to what is stated on bat. Some bats tend to be over the listed weight

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
At that age, look for a used DeMarini Spryte. It is a -12 bat that retails for around $200 new. Looking around, you'll find a good one for under $120.

You can also go with any of the CF lines from DeMarini. They swing very light, and they're durable. A used one should be $175 or less. An LXT in a -11 should be good, too. Mizuno has a few older Power Carbons that can work for you.

I would suggest Sideline Swap as a good place to start.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
Practice before gear.
This!

It's also a weirdly satisfying flex when you teach your DD to be a hitter vs trying to buy hits. Some parents really get offended when you tell em your DD is achieving the same things with $300 less in bats.

It can also be a motivational tool. When you start barreling enough balls, we'll get you the nicer bat that you can actually take advantage of.

We liked the Stringking Metal Pro bat. I don't think it's very special, but it is all black. DD and I agreed that it looked great!

May 29, 2023
This!

It's also a weirdly satisfying flex when you teach your DD to be a hitter vs trying to buy hits. Some parents really get offended when you tell em your DD is achieving the same things with $300 less in bats.

It can also be a motivational tool. When you start barreling enough balls, we'll get you the nicer bat that you can actually take advantage of.

We liked the Stringking Metal Pro bat. I don't think it's very special, but it is all black. DD and I agreed that it looked great!

Oh, I’m not trying to buy a hit. My daughter has a great stance, swing, and has been making excellent contact every time at bat. She has progressed enough that I thought I would upgrade her from her used Walmart Rawlings to something decent.

May 20, 2015
Oh, I’m not trying to buy a hit. My daughter has a great stance, swing, and has been making excellent contact every time at bat. She has progressed enough that I thought I would upgrade her from her used Walmart Rawlings to something decent.

if you asked me our favorite bat from the 10u era, i would say go find yourself an old cf 9 -11 - the teal one - absolutely loved that bat......but the cf8 & cf7 weren't bad, either

problem with the cf9 is they tend to go for as much or more than what i paid core for them new haha......but the nice thing is, unless they are cracked, most of those older cf9's should be still decent, as girls tended to outgrow them before they killed them

but at 10u you can get away with a lot of bats, find something -11 or -12 until they get stronger, and there's still lots of decent bats kicking around used.......but that cf9 was THE bat when the kids were back in 10u

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
if you asked me our favorite bat from the 10u era, i would say go find yourself an old cf 9 -11 - the teal one - absolutely loved that bat......but the cf8 & cf7 weren't bad, either

problem with the cf9 is they tend to go for as much or more than what i paid core for them new haha......but the nice thing is, unless they are cracked, most of those older cf9's should be still decent, as girls tended to outgrow them before they killed them

but at 10u you can get away with a lot of bats, find something -11 or -12 until they get stronger, and there's still lots of decent bats kicking around used.......but that cf9 was THE bat when the kids were back in 10u
Tim's right in everything he just said. A used Demarini CF model is a great choice, back in those young days we were partial to one-piece Miken bats.

The thing about a used composite bat for a girl this age is, it can look like it's been drug behind a car on a gravel road for miles and still not be broken in! Don't get hung up on looks, scratches and paint chips are okay!

Any used composite bat from any manufacturer will be better than a POS aluminum bat from Dick's, you just need to dial in the length and weight for your daughter.

Enjoy, you're just entering into the fun stuff! Gloves are next! ;)

Nov 2, 2021
We bought our daughter a new CF Zen 30 drop 11 second year of 8U. Good balance and durability. We used that bat to teach her the value of respecting her equipment. Used for 3 years between U8 and U10. After consigning the bat against our next bat purchase it was $50 a year. Unfortunately, bats were never that cheap again. Ever.

May 29, 2023

What does cf9, cf8, cf7, etc. stand for? That just different types of carbon fiber?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad