Umps Keeping Track of Local Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2010
I have become a big fan of the Continuous batting order; I wish ASA would address this Issue and the opportunity it allows the Teams.

They have. Rule 12.B allows local leagues to make additional rules. :) The trouble happens when leagues do not think of the consequences of these rules.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
You need to remember that the ASA Rule Book is for championship play. Umpires are supposed to use a league's local rules supplemented by the rule book when necessary for non-championship play. In the absence of any local league rules, it would make sense that the umpires would call the game as if it was championship play.

Jun 22, 2008
Many times rec league coaches are learning just like the kids are. Putting in all kinds of local rules many times just confuses the coaches rather than just letting them play by the common established rules. A local league I work uses the continuous batting order and the coaches do not learn how to properly use their substitutions/courtesy runners. It is fine when they are playing within their rec league, but when they try to play in club ball tournaments they do not have enough experience working their lineups.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Many times rec league coaches are learning just like the kids are. Putting in all kinds of local rules many times just confuses the coaches rather than just letting them play by the common established rules. A local league I work uses the continuous batting order and the coaches do not learn how to properly use their substitutions/courtesy runners. It is fine when they are playing within their rec league, but when they try to play in club ball tournaments they do not have enough experience working their lineups.

Clearly the increased play opportunities for all players during the regular season are going to outweigh whether or not one coach is properly prepared for a handful of all-star tournaments. Not to mention that the substitution rules are so bizarrely complex when you throw in flex, dp, and courtesy runners, that one season probably isn't enough to learn it all.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't understand WHY there are so many different rules. I've played under the same set of rules (with updates of course) since I started playing. Don't have to learn new rules every tournament.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Tonight’s umpire asked me what the rules were before the game, which has never happened before.

Game went off without a hitch. :)

Nov 29, 2009
I have become a big fan of the Continuous batting order; I wish ASA would address this Issue and the opportunity it allows the Teams.

For developing a team the continuous batting is a god send for a coach. After that the rule needs to be tossed in the trash when it comes to high levels of play.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Not a big fan of "local" rules anyway. Why not just play the game by the "actual" rules that are written.

The reasons why are many - As noted previously, the rule book is written for championship play. Usually those girls are exceptionally skilled.

For those that are young and/or not overly skilled or have no desire to become skilled but still like to play they have rec. leagues. Those rec leagues, instead of writing an entire rulebook simply write supplemental rules based off of a rulebook (usually ASA).

Some leagues have combo player pitch/coach pitch. Try finding rules in ASA on coach pitch.
Batting Order
Participation rules (playing time, etc....)
No drop 3rd/steal home.
Etc... Etc....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan