Umpires Issue – Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In my opinion and of course it involves my DD.

The umpires in our League are struggling with high pitches. My DD is shorter than most and a pitch at her eye level is usually called a strike, 50/50 if a ball slightly over her head is called a strike. Taller players, the ball at least needs to be under their neck.

I know that there is no conspiracy here but I am not sure what to do. This week I started working with my DD to swing at any pitch that is not over her head which seems wrong to me but I am not sure what else to do.

I have played with the idea of videotaping an entire game and editing everything out but called strikes over the batters waist but current do not think that would go over well.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What age is this? Is this rec league (Little League, etc)? As bad as this sounds, for our rec Majors and Minors (12U and 10U in Little League), we basically have to widen the strike zone otherwise we are looking at a 2 hour walk-a-thon. I tell all of our kids with 2 strikes, if they think they can hit it, they should swing. Not always the best advice, but with 2 strikes and a generous strike zone, they need to know they have to protect the plate.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry 10 Rec, the umpires do expand the strike zone which I am good with but not equally per size of batter if that makes sense. I know the umpires are being put in a bad situation.

Jul 26, 2010
Is your daughter practicing good takes? Often what I see is a kid giving up on a pitch they know is bad and standing up in the box. She needs to make sure she watches the ball, loads, steps, and stops her swing for EVERY pitch and stays in her stance when the ball is in the catchers glove. This will help the novice umpire see where her zone is, it may be that it's at her chin when she's in her stance, but when she stands up it's at her sternum.

-W

Jul 26, 2010
I ask because it's a common 10u rec ball tactic for coaches to put the smallest girls in as lead-off hitters knowing they're going to get walked because their strike zones are the size of ping pong balls. The coaches are essentially telling these kids to never swing the bat. I know that isn't the case with your kid, but the umpires are likely aware of it and want to make sure the kid is trying to hit, rather then stand there. The strike zone gets huge when they stand there.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
We had an ump once that was all over the place with his strike zone. Our pitcher was becoming very frustrated and I went out to the circle to calm her down. On the way back I went to the ump and explained her frustration and asked him if his strike zone was from the knees to the armpits. He said it was and I told him that's where I thought he was calling them. That's where he called them the rest of the game. Sometimes you just need to ask. :)

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I have noticed a lot of umpires calling the strikes where it hits the glove and not where it crosses the front of the plate. Have you thought about moving the smaller girls back in the box when these high strikes become an issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG