Transitioning to a new league---advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks again. No I do NOT let my daughter know any of what I am feeling. Me and my husband have a rule to never discuss our uneasy feelings about neighbors, teachers, sports or groups around our kids. The don't really understand what we see and can be what I call "repeaters" reciting what you say and using it to their advantage if they can. Older DD is worse than the younger. Husband and I text and email a lot. LOL

I have great feelings about this. Wed. night at our pitching lesson, the instructor had my daughter throw "house" balls in a drill. Theirs are 12" and slightly weighted. It was amazingly good. She loved it and now wants me to get some. Off the cuff I asked the instructor what he thought and he said sometimes it is easier to throw 12" and easier at 40ft because they aren't holding back as much! I had said nothing to the pitching instructor or my daughter about us moving to those sizes.

At the end of the lesson I mentioned the possibility of changing and he said she would be totally fine-maybe better. Funny how things work out!

Sometimes it is really hard to separate their performance and experience from how we feel about ourselves. I just keep reminding myself that what makes me a good parent is that I am there for her, taking her, researching and caring about her experience and not her performance. Thanks again!

GG

Jun 24, 2013
DD moved to the 12” and 40’ with out to much problem, the batters just hit the ball a lot harder. :)

(One of the biggest changes for DD to the 12” ball was hitting. Expect her hits to be shorter for a while. Balls that hit the grass will be hit to the IF. She will catch up, it just takes a little while)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Just a little story - when my son was 9 he was chosen to play on a competitive level lacrosse team (based on some fall clinics that he participated in). At first we were honored, but then as time went by the whole experience was just awful. Coaches focusing on their own kids, win at all costs, the "more favored" kids bullying the "less favored". Fast forward 4 years. That was the one and only year DS played lacrosse - he is now happily entrenched back into baseball. All of this time later, and little bits are starting to come out... how the goalie, one of DS's good friends now, hated the team and everyone on it, how another kid used to get anxiety attacks in the car on the way to games. I look back and I just think, "man, were we all completely mental? These kids were NINE"

Anyway. My daughter started playing competitive ball at age 10 - sometimes I think that was too young. My son started down the competitive baseball road at age 12. For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing :)

Edit/qualification - of course, I'm just speaking on personal experience. Some nine year olds are ready to take on the world; heck some six year olds are ready. I guess what I'm trying to say is that kids deserve to develop at their own pace.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I'm a little confused on the Little League age groups you mentioned. Maybe they are different, but I can't imagine some young 9 year old having to pitch with the 12" at 40 ft. Our local Rec LL is 5/6 TBall, 7/8 Pee Wee (coach pitch), 9/10 Minor (11" at 35') and 11/12 Major (12" at 40). Perhaps the ages are different based on the number of players you have in your league.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Congrats GG...LL is a great institution and you should find the experience memorable. Definitely do All-Stars; well worth it and a special time for the kids. The good thing about LL, is that every local league and their members are backed by Little League International. If there are any problems, issues, questions, or anything (by a parent or league administrator) the district and regional offices will serve you well. Keep in mind LL is a big business (world wide) and their image and the product they provide for the kids is very important to them. Also, the league would not do anything that would jeopardize their Charter.

My first advice is to read and re-read and re-read the softball by-laws and the Constitution...know them cold. The by-laws will let you know how "softball" is run...how they conduct tryouts, place players, set-up their divisions, select coaches, type of ball they use, etc. The Constitution will let you know how the league is structured and operated; most Constitutions are pretty straight forward.

Every league votes and approve their by-laws each and every year...so they do get tweaked at times. So if there is a procedure or local rule that you think should be re-visited or discussed next year, you will have an opportunity to voice your opinion before they get approved for 2015.

Couple things regarding your 9yo playing in Majors. What is her League Age? In other words...what age was she on December 31, 2013? If she was 9, then she is LA-9. LA-9 MIGHT not be allowed to pitch in Majors. In fact....LA-9 MIGHT need parents permission to even play in Majors. Also, when All-Stars comes around, she will have play in the 9-10 level; no questions asked. I'm telling you all this so there are no surprises. Read the league documents...know what your options are...keeping in mind LL has a waiver for most everything....but if it's a safety issue (9yo pitching in Majors) then it will be tough to get a waiver or tough to argue your point.

Good Luck.

T

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm a little confused on the Little League age groups you mentioned. Maybe they are different, but I can't imagine some young 9 year old having to pitch with the 12" at 40 ft. Our local Rec LL is 5/6 TBall, 7/8 Pee Wee (coach pitch), 9/10 Minor (11" at 35') and 11/12 Major (12" at 40). Perhaps the ages are different based on the number of players you have in your league.

TJ's explanations are what I know from our local area as well. We have a small group that typically only has two teams per year. It is not uncommon for us to have 7, 8, and 9 year olds on the minors team with 10, 11, and 12 year olds on the majors. We would keep a 10 year old "down" if they are new to the sport or coaches/parents feel she is not ready for majors. In rare cases we have moved a 9 year old up. But, in general, it is rare for us to have more than 25 girls playing softball each year. By comparison, we have well over 100 that play soccer in those same age ranges.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just a little story - when my son was 9 he was chosen to play on a competitive level lacrosse team (based on some fall clinics that he participated in). At first we were honored, but then as time went by the whole experience was just awful. Coaches focusing on their own kids, win at all costs, the "more favored" kids bullying the "less favored". Fast forward 4 years. That was the one and only year DS played lacrosse - he is now happily entrenched back into baseball. All of this time later, and little bits are starting to come out... how the goalie, one of DS's good friends now, hated the team and everyone on it, how another kid used to get anxiety attacks in the car on the way to games. I look back and I just think, "man, were we all completely mental? These kids were NINE"

Anyway. My daughter started playing competitive ball at age 10 - sometimes I think that was too young. My son started down the competitive baseball road at age 12. For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing :)

Edit/qualification - of course, I'm just speaking on personal experience. Some nine year olds are ready to take on the world; heck some six year olds are ready. I guess what I'm trying to say is that kids deserve to develop at their own pace.

Awesome story and excellent advice! For what its worth, I agree with you. My DD is well entrentched in TB now, but didn't start until age 12. Looking back on it, I think I would have started her at age 11 (she agrees with this, by the way). By starting at 12 she only played one year of TB before aging up to the next level. I think starting her at 11 would have helped her comfort level. That said, I don't think I would have started her any earlier than that. In her case, she simply wasn't ready for that type of commitment. Sometimes as parents we have trouble understanding the difference between our children's pace and the pace that we expect.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks again. While pitching is one of our goals, I am not attempting to switch leagues just to pitch. I know that we have to earn our spot and of course it will have to be safe. I would be happy if she just got to warm up properly and throw a few at practices. There were just so many things that stuck out to me with the other league that didn't sit well.

I started to list them, but there is no reason for that. When your gut tells you something just isn't right for 3 seasons in a row, well, then it mostly likely isn't. I really have tried to come to terms with my feelings and figure out how to change me to no avail. A new start is just needed. Even though we still haven't officially got the ok to move, I feel the weight of the world has been lifted.

GG

May 31, 2012
Why leave the original league? Sounds like your kid would have had an opportunity to pitch. All the good kids were playing travel. I'm sure they took the best pitchers.

Aug 20, 2013
No, not at 10U, they play both. My DD probably would have been able to pitch, it was just all drama that went with it. Again, we aren't moving so she can pitch. It just hasn't felt right for a while.

GG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl