The University of Washington play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2013
Somewhere I read about a softball play called "the University of Washington play", but I can't remember where. I have done some searchs online and not found anything. I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this play?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I believe it's the move after running through 1st base and then as you're heading back to the bag, you take off to 2nd with the ball in the circle. It's basically something that started under coach Theresa Wilson.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2013
I believe it's the move after running through 1st base and then as you're heading back to the bag, you take off to 2nd with the ball in the circle. It's basically something that started under coach Theresa Wilson.

Would this be legal in high school play also? I thought that once the pitcher had the ball in the circle the runner had to get to the bag and not advance?

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, the Washington play you are referring to is where the batter/runner after running through 1st takes off for 2nd as they are walking back to 1st catching the defense napping. But, NCAA rules are different than most of the rules sets so be careful trying it. NCAA rules dont commit the batter/runner back to 1st until they actually retouch the base. Any other rule set I am aware of, if the ball is back in the circle with the pitcher and the runner starts to return to 1st, they are now commited to 1st and attempting to advance would be a lookback violation.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
It is legal in high school, there's an old discussion about the rule but basically: you can run in this instance but you can't stop or return to your previous bag (until the pitcher steps out of the circle or throws). You're a sitting duck if played right by the defense.

We do this on walks with a runner on three, batter turns the corner at 1 and keeps going.

Edited to add.: only if following USFA rules from 2008 am I possibly correct. I defer to Comp.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
It is legal in high school, there's an old discussion about the rule but basically: you can run in this instance but you can't stop or return to your previous bag (until the pitcher steps out of the circle or throws). You're a sitting duck if played right by the defense.

We do this on walks with a runner on three, batter turns the corner at 1 and keeps going.

That is not the Washington play. And you are incorrect, the batter/runner is not required to run non stop to 2nd if they round the base. They are entitled to 1 stop and reversal of direction. The batter/runner may round 1st, stop, but then must immediately advance or return to 1st if the pitcher makes no attempt to play on them or any other runner.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Would this be legal in high school play also? I thought that once the pitcher had the ball in the circle the runner had to get to the bag and not advance?

I'm going off of memory here, but the NCAA rulebook wording on the lookback rule is such that it doesn't forbid this from happening. Teresa Wilson either argued this to an umpire in protesting their call or to the rules committee. I can't remember which. Either way, they found that she was correct in her interpretation of it not being against the rules. A year or two ago, UW's Heather Tarr, who played for Wilson, had one of her girls do it and successfully stole 2nd base. I remember the announcers talking about how the NCAA rule-set was the only one you could get away with it.

I would not try it under FED rules or any of travel ball's alphabet soups rules.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The other requirement with the NCAA rule is that the batter runner run directly through first base and stay within three feet on either side of the baseline. They may attempt to advance to second at any time prior to returning to touch first base.

If the B/R rounds first toward second, stops, starts to return to first, she has committed to first base and if she reverses direction toward second, she is out. Of course, this is only in effect if the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not making a play on a runner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl