The End of the NLI? So now what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
What I've been most surprised by this year is NLI signed recruits losing their scholarships due to changing roster sizes, the portal, etc. If the NLI only prevents the student from walking away from the school and not the other way around, why have the NLI at all?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I haven't seen any discussion of it, but with the new salary cap structure in place, it seems that public universities will be forced to put a premium on recruiting in-state. In-state kids will be a smaller salary cap hit, freeing up more money to allocate to the top recruits.
Not sure if that is how it will work with a so called salary cap. The money that the schools are giving currently for education expenses may not be disappearing. It could be that the 20 million dollars or so that the schools are allocating could be in addition to the current money that is given in terms of scholarships. All the money would just be given with different wording (some kind of employment contract or independent contractor). I could be completely wrong.

Regardless, in state kids would be cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoftballRNMom