Steel cleat recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Well, looks like I'll be buying a pair of steel cleats now that ASA changed its ruling. She's earned them playing with the big girls for Fall but I wasn't going to buy a pair for 4 tourneys when she's still growing.

Who makes a durable, comfortable steel cleat that works for catchers?

...or does it really not matter and should I just get steel to match her favorite molded type?

Aug 10, 2009
Idaho
As a HS coach, one observation I made was that we had multiple catchers actually crack and break the exterior bottom of their metal cleats (to the point where cleats broke out of the hard plastic) where they never had this problem with molded cleats. Assumed it was because of the catchers crouch position. Both eventually went back to molded. Something you might keep in mind.....

I am a big advocate of Ringor cleats. My kids all really like them.

Oldest DD is a catcher and she has worn Ringors exclusively for past five years and has loved them. The only times she has not was because her college program was an Addidas school, but she still wore her Ringors in practice. She has had three pairs of the Diamond Star Spike with the Pro-Tec Toe over this time and they have held up extremely well over the course of hundreds of games. The leather stretched out some but only one of the shoes ever developed a hole in them.
She did use custom orthodics (which required removing the original insolve) but easily resolved by cutting the insole to fit with the insert and gluing it (the front third of the original insole) into the shoe.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just an FYI - if you are going to be playing on turf, with metal spikes (if they aren't prohibited by the field/facility) your feet can take a real pounding. IMO, molded plastic cleats in those situations are preferred.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
We got DD turf cleats, since she spends a ton of time in indoor facilities. They were cheap, and don't wear at all Ironically she hasn't played an actual game on turf in over a year.

A friend did recommend Mizuno interchangeable cleats, since they're versatile and you replace the cleats several times before the shoes finally wear out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan