Shrewd Umpire Not About To Be Fooled By Catcher Moving Glove Into Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
I'm glad my duaghter never got into that habit, that I see so many catchers try to do. I've asked umpires in our tournaments, and online and they all pretty much say the very same thing. Catchingcoach Dave Weaver stresses this very thing. The whole concept of "framing" is just fooey. :D

it's not fooey - however you only frame pitches which are borderline - framing is not pulling your glove into the strike zone

Sep 3, 2009
it's not fooey - however you only frame pitches which are borderline - framing is not pulling your glove into the strike zone

I meant the practice of pushing/pulling pitches into a favorable spot for blue to call the desired pitch. It seems like alot of people have different definitions when it comes to exactly what framing is. If the pitcher wanted a strike, it probably should have been thrown as one. Pitches on the corners though, it's one thing for the catcher to position their glove so as to give the impression that it was a good pitch. Pulling it in 4" after the smack from hitting the mitt, I really don't think there are too many blues that are going to fall for that. That was all I was saying.

Nov 1, 2009
What if your framing was't for the umpire, but to get the ball and glove in a better position to throw? The key to getting calls outside the zone in my opinion is having a pitcher that can hit her spots on command.

May 13, 2008
What if your framing was't for the umpire, but to get the ball and glove in a better position to throw? The key to getting calls outside the zone in my opinion is having a pitcher that can hit her spots on command.

That isn't framing, that is receiving.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the catcher thinks the pitch was out of the zone, moving the glove simply tells the umpire you will agree when the call is "ball".

Moving the glove or framing a pitch IS an attempt to influence the call no matter which way you look at it. You have no argument, so don't deny it. When a catcher does pull the glove, you ARE attempting to show-up the umpire.

It is a nasty little head game coaches use thinking it will help them win. But, but, but.....its part of the game, right? No, it is not. Many coaches are not shy, and some actually brag, about "working" the umpire. People think it is okay to do this, after all, the most important thing is winning, right? If you answer "yes" to this, you can bet that in 30 years, your children will be living vicariously through your grandchildren's athletic prowess. (BTW, I don't think I have ever heard any parent admit to it though there is no one reading this post who doesn't know or think of someone who is doing just that. :eek: )

If it is okay for a coach to knowingly argue something they know is a lie for the sake of working or intimidating an umpire, I think you would have to agree it is okay for an umpire to make an FYC for the purpose of showing a coach who is in charge. I don't believe either is acceptable.

But I digress.....

When it comes down to it, the location of the catcher's glove is 100% irrelevant to the call. Most of the time, the status of the ball is determined at the front edge of the plate, by rule. What's that, at least 2-4 feet from where the ball hits the catcher's glove? Anyone ever see a ball "move" in the period of time? A right-handed pitcher with just the slightest ability to throw a curve ball can throw a pitch that passes through a strike zone and be caught wll into the LH batter's box. By rule, it is a strike. If called a strike, the fans are going to whine, the coaches are going to cry and the world is going to think the umpire left the guide dog in the car.

Yet, all you have here is an umpire taking a load of shirt for doing his/her job properly. Whether we like to admit it or not, perception is reality in the world of sports, regardless of the level or participants.

Now, if you want, this could lead us to why the strike zone shouldn't be called exactly as written in the book..............nah.;)

All told, the best thing for any catcher to do is catch the ball and return it to the pitcher. Otherwise, she will end up playing in a rec SP league and trying to work the umpire by pointing to the cute little dot on the ground where the ball landed that the umpire called a strike. :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
I don't blame umpires for getting a little miffed at coaches trying to influence calls. As far as framing goes, I don't know why they would give it much thought. They call strikes according to where it crosses the plate, not whwere it hits the glove.

Jul 11, 2009
Great article by blue. Funny story here. My daughter was catching last year and one game the ump was not giving anything, sometimes strikes were not even called strikes. Finally her coach said, "catcher where was that pitch?" She turns and says, "Uh, it was a strike." Too funny, even the ump chuckled. Afterwards I told her that if it was a strike but ump did not give it then code word is "It just missed coach" If it truly was a ball then tell where it missed, that way coach knows if ump is not giving anything close he needs to change the way he is calling pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish