"Showcase Team" roster size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A showcase is typically a "friendly format", so the number of games, opponents and game times are pre-determined. Coaches freely rotate players since no one is "playing to win". You could have a roster of 14 and expect each girl to sit one inning every other game (assuming 7 inning games). Pitchers will typically pitch 2 innings/game. It is much easier to keep parents happy in this format since every player sits an equal number of innings (assuming you have a good coach whose objective is to get every girl seen as much as possible).

I have not heard of many TB teams that are "showcase only", but I guess it could happen.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the responses. Now, we just have to decide if she wants to be on two teams. The "Gold" team wants her to fill in on weekends we don't have a tournament which would mean no weekends off this summer. Her best friend is doing it, but our coach wasn't too thrilled about it.

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
Times are a changin... The Showcases we play in are different than they were 5 years ago. You have to play to win or risk not being asked to return for the next one. These are high profile showcases mind you - but I see many changing to this every year.

A showcase is typically a "friendly format", so the number of games, opponents and game times are pre-determined. Coaches freely rotate players since no one is "playing to win". You could have a roster of 14 and expect each girl to sit one inning every other game (assuming 7 inning games). Pitchers will typically pitch 2 innings/game. It is much easier to keep parents happy in this format since every player sits an equal number of innings (assuming you have a good coach whose objective is to get every girl seen as much as possible).

I have not heard of many TB teams that are "showcase only", but I guess it could happen.

Oct 10, 2011
DD tried out with the team yesterday and it went really well. They asked her to join and she said yes. Coach told her she'd be the youngest girl he has ever taken. She'd actually be the 13th girl, as one was injured and out for the rest of this season. Their practice was fantastic and DD walked over and said she learned more in that one practice than she ever has. The head coach is a former D1 coach, and the fees are only 800.00 because he has free access to a beautiful indoor facility. So she'll be on two teams this summer, which means no weekends off. Should be interesting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl