"Showcase Team" roster size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
There is a team DD was invited to try out for but they have 13 players already. Coach said it's a "showcase team" and he likes to have 14 on the roster. That's more than we're used to, but we were told that because they only do showcase tournaments, a larger roster doesn't matter. Is that true?

Oct 10, 2011
Most have larger roster sizes. 13-14 seems a bit short to me.

I didn't realize that. We usually only have 11 or 12 on the teams we've been on, but we will only be doing a couple showcases mixed in with regular tournaments.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I don't get the thinking that "it's a showcase team, roster size doesn't matter". If a team is only doing showcase tournaments the roster should be small, a player can't be seen unless she is on the field or in the box. If a team is trying to qualify for the championship series I understand a larger roster, there needs to be enough fresh talent to get them to the big show.

Edited to add: Many "showcase teams" are only in it for the money. The more on the roster the more $2,000 fees they get.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Especially in the Fall, roster's are larger then 13. Why?

The girls are generally upperclassman & they have: PSAT, SAT, SAT II & ACT testing, which occurs on Saturdays. There are always conflicts with showcase events & collegiate testing and visits, thus the larger rosters.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
We play Gold, showcase and some qualifiers. Coach likes to carry 18-- 4 pitchers, 2-3 catchers. Seniors miss a lot for graduations, proms, homecomings. Plus injuries will happen. We don't want to fly around the country and play with only 10 girls. And our team is expensive but is a non-profit, so the $$$ isn't the reason.
Some teams have 22 or more. I'd say 14 is the minimum.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DDs org carries 13-14 players with usually 3-4 pitchers and catchers. It used to bother me that she'd have to split time behind the plate until I saw first hand what over use of catchers can do.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
A roster of 15 on my DD's team. 3 pitchers/2 catchers. As my DD is a catcher, and has been injured for overuse (9 games in 3.5 days). I am one parent who doesn't mind seeing my kid "riding the pine" and resting up for the next game.

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
14 is the number for us this year. We tried to do it last year with 11 and it just didn't work. Coaches shouldn't have any trouble getting 14 players adequate playing time. We might even add a player or two for the big fall events.

A roster of 15 on my DD's team. 3 pitchers/2 catchers. As my DD is a catcher, and has been injured for overuse (9 games in 3.5 days). I am one parent who doesn't mind seeing my kid "riding the pine" and resting up for the next game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl