Should physical strength be measured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Physical strength ~ Muscle strength

Considering so many of the discussions here are based on physical productivity and performance, which includes factors like which bat to select, swing mechanic results and pitching and running speeds.

Brings these questions~
How much is muscle strength a factor?
Should muscle strength be measured to help the individual athlete assess their development on the journey?
How would you like to see muscle strength be measured?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
For use in comparisons against others? No, I don't think so. Kevin Durant could not bench press 175lb when he entered the NBA. He takes that to the HOF.

For use a a baseline to track their own personal progress. Yes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Quickness and speed seem to be more relevant.
I have seen more kids hit more bombs and lasers than the bigger stronger players.

When you see it, you just know.

Weight training builds you up for the long season and injury prevention. Yes, getting stronger and faster is key, but production is better.

Sep 13, 2021
Most serious athletes at some point have to increase their relative strength (i.e., the amount of strength they have at a static bodyweight) to avoid plateaus and continue to produce and progress. If you take two identical athletes and put one on a quality S&C program, that athlete will be better that the other just about every time, because he/she will be faster, stronger and, most likely, bigger. It's mostly about relative strength, though. Sports isn't a weightlifting contest.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hand grip strength is tested at some camps. I guess it's a barometer for overall strength.
TBS, I think weight room for softball it probably overdone or done with the wrong emphasis. Core strength, balance and agility probably more important than max dead lift.
Young players (8 to 12 y/o) that are or were involved in gymnastics, dance or marshall arts often stand out and have more natural swings. Their bodies understand how to create power. And they are generally easier to coach because they have been involved in a discipline that requires effort and listening skills.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Physical strength ~ Muscle strength

Considering so many of the discussions here are based on physical productivity and performance, which includes factors like which bat to select, swing mechanic results and pitching and running speeds.

Brings these questions~
How much is muscle strength a factor?
Should muscle strength be measured to help the individual athlete assess their development on the journey?
How would you like to see muscle strength be measured?

I personally feel that softball camps or the companies that run softball metrics (On Deck Softball) could do a better job in measuring a athletes physical strength. The only the metric I have seen used is grip strength, which I would not consider to be a very accurate measurement of overall strength. These softball metric companies do a much better job in other metrics such as exit velo, overhand throwing velo, sprinting, etc. Grip strength is a very quick and very easy metric to determine with little to no risk of injury, grip strength is also a very affordable metric for a company to test on softball players. Little to no warm up required for a grip strength test.

On to better ways to test a players strength. If there were only three exercises to test for overall strength I would choose these three.

Pullups- going to hurt a lot of players feelings with a pull up test. Lots of females can't do pullups. Just so I don't get called a misogynist again, I would like to include that there are many men that can't do pullups either.

Barbell back squat- I would consider this to be the best way to measure an athletes lower body strength.

Deadlift with a trap bar- A very good exercise to measure overall body strength. Most athletes are somewhat familiar with this lift also.

This is why I believe softball metric companies don't test for these exercises.

#1 - Liability, higher risk of an athlete getting hurt trying to do a max lift. Potential lawsuit on your hands.
#2 - Cost. Going to cost a lot more money to supply the equipment to do these test.
#3 Transportation, pain in the butt to transport all the equipment to each location and setup.
#4- Time. Going to take a lot more time to complete the camp. Each athlete would have to warmup for each exercise.

Sep 13, 2021
Grip strength is often tested at combines and events because it’s really easy and quick to test, has a low injury risk and is a decent indicator of overall strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
creese