Scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Bases loaded, less than 2 outs. Slapper hits soft slap to pitcher who looks home before deciding to go to first but by then it's too late. Hit or FC?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If bases were loaded with less than two outs and the pitcher could have made a play at home, I would give her an error. If she could not get the runner at home she needs to get the out at first. If the batter is lighting fast, and safe at first because the pitcher checked the 3B runner before throwing, I would score it as a fielders choice.

The level of ball you are playing should also factor into how you score it, but I always get a chuckle when a parent tells me their DD is batting .700 in rec ball!

Mar 11, 2009
She shouldn't be checking any runner in that situation, Runners all going on contact if ball is on the ground!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She shouldn't be checking any runner in that situation, Runners all going on contact if ball is on the ground!

If the pitcher fields the ball she should try to get the out at home, but if the 3B runner broke on the pitch, is fast, and is crossing the plate when the pitcher fields it, the pitcher can decided to try to make the play at 1B. She has essentially "checked the runner" because she took time to see if she could make the play at home before making the throw to 1B. A good catcher should be acting as the "field general" and tell the pitcher where to throw the ball as she is fielding it, giving the pitcher a higher probability of getting an out somewhere.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I would think this applies:

NCAA Softball Scoring Rules

FIELDER’S CHOICE
SECTION 7. A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations:
a. To a batter:
4. When a runner is checked and no throw or a late throw is made, but the runner
would have been out had the initial play gone to first base.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If bases were loaded with less than two outs and the pitcher could have made a play at home, I would give her an error. If she could not get the runner at home she needs to get the out at first. If the batter is lighting fast, and safe at first because the pitcher checked the 3B runner before throwing, I would score it as a fielders choice.

The level of ball you are playing should also factor into how you score it, but I always get a chuckle when a parent tells me their DD is batting .700 in rec ball!
How can you possibly rule it an error? You can't charge an error for a mental mistake. Unless there is a physical error, dropped bobbled ball or bad throw it is a FC or H depending on whether the scorer thought the girl at 1st should have been retired with ordinary effort.

I mean if you want to put a notation in the book ike "brain cramp" or "mental error" or "bad judjement" so you know why everyone was safe that's fine but you can't give an error on that play.

Apr 1, 2010

IA, bases loaded, less than 2 outs, it seems to me that she should be hard-wired to fire the ball to the catcher for the force at home.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would think this applies:

NCAA Softball Scoring Rules

FIELDER’S CHOICE
SECTION 7. A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations:
a. To a batter:
4. When a runner is checked and no throw or a late throw is made, but the runner
would have been out had the initial play gone to first base.

Not saying that it is not a fielder's choice, but the pitcher did not check the runner in this case. Rather, she paused to consider making a play for the runner. I wonder if there is a rule that specifically addresses this 'mental pause'. It can be a very subtle thing. Say you have a runner at first and a ground ball to the SS. Batter beats it out for a hit. Just the mere thought of going to second that is manifested in a slight pause or movement toward second might be grounds for making that a fielder's choice - if that pause led to the batter/runner being safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl