Runner hit by batted ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
12U rec game using NFHS rules. Runner is on second, SS is playing in front of the baseline. Batter hit a grounder past the SS that hit the runner. My understanding is that because the fielder made an attempt at fielding the ball prior to it hitting the runner that the runner is not out. Is this correct?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
A runner is out if he or she is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play (5-1-1f, 6-1-5).

Oct 25, 2009
12U rec game using NFHS rules. Runner is on second, SS is playing in front of the baseline. Batter hit a grounder past the SS that hit the runner. My understanding is that because the fielder made an attempt at fielding the ball prior to it hitting the runner that the runner is not out. Is this correct?
Correct.

May 29, 2015
Just for fun, here is a recent interpretation that came down on the baseball side ... I'll modify it slightly to make it fit for softball.

R3 legally gets a lead off with the pitch. R3 is ...
Play A: ... in foul territory and is directly hit with a foul ground ball.
Play B: ... in fair territory when the batted ball ricochets off 3rd base and hits the runner.
Play C: ... in foul territory when the batted ball ricochets off 3rd base and hits the runner.

Before I reveal the answers ... What do you have?

Sep 1, 2021
Just for fun, here is a recent interpretation that came down on the baseball side ... I'll modify it slightly to make it fit for softball.

Play B: ... in fair territory when the batted ball ricochets off 3rd base and hits the runner.
Play C: ... in foul territory when the batted ball ricochets off 3rd base and hits the runner.

A) Foul ball runner stays on 3rd
B) Runner out, hit by fair ball in fair territory
C) Runner out, hit by fair ball in foul territory

May 20, 2015

where was 3b playing on B & C - did they have a chance to play the ball before it got to 3b?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles