Ruling question, pertains to catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Runner on third leads off. Pick off attempt is made and thrown ball strikes runner. Is this ever obstruction (say if in fair territory) or is it the responsibility of the catcher to throw over or around the runner to the fielder covering the bag?

In my state there was an obvious crackdown last year on bunters staying out of the catchers throwing lane to first. If the runner ran to first in fair territory and the catcher fielded the ball, she was usually called out for obstructing the throw. (runners were given around 20 feet beyond the front of the box to get out of fair territory.)

Since a lot of coaches teach to lead off of third 'down in foul, back in fair' is there grounds for an obstruction call if the catcher deposits the throw on the runners back side on a pick attempt at third? Or is that a live ball/no call situation?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My understanding is that the fielding Team has the right to field the ball cleanly. Once the fielding team makes contact with the ball it is their responsibility to not hit the runner. In the case you described the C had the opportunity to field the ball cleanly so it is their responsibility to avoid hitting the runner.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
My understanding is that the fielding Team has the right to field the ball cleanly. Once the fielding team makes contact with the ball it is their responsibility to not hit the runner. In the case you described the C had the opportunity to field the ball cleanly so it is their responsibility to avoid hitting the runner.

Think your first statement applies only to a batted ball. In any case, I would think that unless the runner intentionally interfered with a thrown ball, then it is no-call.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors