rule 8 base running sec. 18 c.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2014
does not legally attempt to avoid a fielder in the immediate act... i m having trouble getting that for some reason lol
any way i know batter runner can t retreat to home. can the runner at 1b move back toward 1b .when ball is hit to second baseman to buy time for batter runner to reach first base preventing a easy double play

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
No, they can't go back to 1b, but they can come to a stop. Making the fielder come to them.

that is incorrect ... only between home plate and 1B can the brunner not retreat .... between all other bases they can go anyway they desire, even if they are forced to advance ... the umpire will just have to rule on what eventually happens when all the craziness comes to a stop

Jun 22, 2008
No, they can't go back to 1b, but they can come to a stop. Making the fielder come to them.

As already stated, this is incorrect. The rule only applies between home and 1st base AND, only when a play is being attempted on the batter/runner. If no play is being attempted, batter/runner can retreat toward home without penalty.

Mar 11, 2014
yeah and it can get crazy. thks for the replies. i umped slow pitch for years now it's just for old men .when my girls stop playing i think i would like to try fast pitch.i know that you can call 10 games 9 of them well be ball,, safe, out. then you ll have a game if it can happen it will happen .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl