Roster Ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Here's the situation. I coach the 14U team, there's a player on the 16U team that's 14U eligible and her team is made up of mostly high school players. As of now she doesn't have a team ( cause all the HS kids can't play until June) so she is going to play down with us.

Here's the question, do I have to be concern with playing any NSA / ASA tournaments with her on my roster for the next 3 months? Technically she will be listed on both of our official rosters (14u and 16u) but won't play in the same tournament with both us. Once her team returns we lose her and she will only play with the 16U team. I believe I'm okay as long as our 14u and 16u doesn't play in the same tournament but I wanted to check my understanding.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
No on NSA and that is why we never played in any NSA tournaments last year, till the end of the year, when a 14U team picked her up to play in Nationals. ! ASA depends what tourneys you are playing in. My dd did the exact same thing last year under the same problems of being a 14U playing up on a older 16U team. She must be released, you cannot be on two rosters at the same time. . So she played or subbed on 4 different 14U teams and then joined her 16U team for the rest of the year. None were qualifiers when she subbed. What I'm not up to date on is how many times you can be released in one year in ASA. I have not read the rule changes for this year yet. We played in many USSSA last year and I don't want to get them confused.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA - can only be on one roster at a time for any ASA championship play. Once the commissioner red lines the roster, that is the roster to which they are committed for the season.

May 13, 2008
If the tournaments are not qualifiers she should be OK, but you should always check with your state's sanction representatives.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
A couple of the tournaments would be qualifiers, so does that mean she can't play on our team? She won't play in the State and Nationals tournament with us but rather with her 16U team.

What does "red line" the roster mean? Lock the roster? If so when does that usually occur?

-Tom

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I would check the ASA website and find your local rep and ask ? , but if she plays in a Qualifier and the roster is submitted she is froze to that team. The Question would be can she be released ? MTR is probably right, unless she can be released. Plus the question she qualified on a 14U roster and is released to a 16U roster.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
From ASA Code:

Article 502 ROSTERS. A team's roster becomes official when a commissioner or designee signs it
for championship play. Each team is permitted pick up players according to Article 503 of
this code.

A. Rosters. Male rosters shall include only male players and female rosters shall
include only female players.
B. Number of Players. A championship roster can only have a maximum of 20
players, including pickup players. A manager or coach shall not count as a player
unless listed as one. Player(s) names cannot be removed or replaced once the
player on the roster has participated in championship play.
C. Roster Change Deadline. The roster change deadline for championship play
is 24 hours prior to the start of championship tournament play.
NOTE: Local associations may establish an earlier deadline for classification
purposes.
D. Roster Form. Roster forms shall be provided by the ASA National Office and
are the only official rosters for championship play.
E. Roster Procedure. The roster / affidavit form must be signed by the player,
their guardian ( if necessary ) and the manager. Parent’s signatures are not
required for players 18 years of age and over. A red line must be drawn on the line
beneath the last player’s name listed on the roster. The roster must be signed by
the local commissioner or their designee.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Thanks MTR. Maybe a dumb question but is championship play synonymous with Nationals or does it mean any championship game within a qualifier tournament?

Jan 13, 2010
Championship play is defined as any tourney that leads to a berth to Nationals...ie ASA States, ASA Regional, ASA National Qualifiers and ASA Nationals...but usually all of those tourneys are after HS ends...and it only applies if the 16u team submitted the roster. If the 16u hasn't submitted a roster, she can be added to the 14u roster and then released when she's done with them and going to the 16u team..You are allowed to move up during the year, just not down..so if she's already on a 16u ASA Championship roster, she can't get released and go down to 14u...only works going up in age and/or up in class (A vs B)..can't go down.