Recruiting Process- Update from the Trenches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I will continue to add it to our knowledge base. We have not had any issues with the schools about being a Physical Therapist. Although, we are not really looking at Top 25 type schools. As far as private schools and scholarship money, they are bound by the same rules as public schools for athletic money. A fully funded DII school has 7 athletic scholarships to use for their program. Because of the reduced number over a DI, they tend to give partial money and add it to any academic scholarships. The reason it becomes more expensive, Is because the initial cost of the private school Is much greater than a public university. If you were offered 25% to a public university costing $20k a year, you are getting $5k and owe $15. If you get 50% offer from a private school costing $40k, you get $20k and owe $20k. Just something to be considered. Many private colleges do have other academic type scholarships they can help with. It is something we really had to consider because of where we live. My DD either goes DI for a public school or DII for private. The end cost will absolutely be a factor.

Nov 11, 2013
As a parent whose DD is in the midst of the recruiting process, what I am seeing is that D1 schools looking at younger and younger players. DD is a 2016 grad with a very good GPA, AP courses, etc. When she was playing in 14U, the coaches weren't looking that young. Very few college coaches were at the games in her age group and she was playing a very heavy "showcase" schedule. Now, at 16U, all of a sudden, all the coaches are at 14U. It almost seems as though they have skipped over the 2016 grad year. The majority of the girls who are verballed on her team are 2017 grads. It seems out of control to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06