Question (silly)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2011
No outs runner on 3rd. Pitcher walks batter. The batter takes off to 1st then makes the corner to 2nd but starts walking. Will this draw the pitcher to her letting the runner on 3 get score? Does the pitcher look at her & just roll her eyes to keep runner on 3 or is there a time limit to get to 2nd? Told you it was silly.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Depends upon what age. In the older age groups this really doesn't work and you can pull off a double play. In the younger age groups more times than not I have seen 2nd base given up. Personally, I would like to get an out somewhere.

Jan 18, 2011
There is no time limit to get to second as long as she keeps moving towards second and doesn't or fake back to first she may keep walking all the way. I would have had my pitcher fake a throw to freeze the runner making her commit to either go back to first or try for second. Then the pitcher would be faced with a decision to either get the out between 1st and 2nd or check the runner on 3rd. Would depend on score and inning that this was done and/or age group.

Jun 18, 2010
As CK mentioned, it depends on the age and level of play. In the local Rec league for 10U and even some 12U teams it doesn't do any good to worry about the girl going from 1st to 2nd because most runners who get to first usually steal their way to 3rd anyway.

Jul 26, 2010
If your infield is on their toes, have the pitcher fire the ball to the 2nd baseman who is standing in the baseline (or damn near to it) when this happens. She makes the tag (or attempts to) and fires immediately to the catcher.

Wouldn't attempt it in rec ball but that was standard ball4 defense for my 12u TB team. Usually you just let them have 2nd in rec ball, consider it punishment for letting a runner get third.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red