Question re: obstruction during attempted steal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
A ways back, someone had posted an interesting twist on defending against the steal with runners at 1B and 3B.

Runner at 1B goes for 2B, Catcher throws to F4 who tags runner out on her way by and fires it home to get the out at the plate.

My question: on a Steal attempt if F4 is in the basepath could the rule on obstruction apply if she gets the baserunner out? I'm thinking on this play it would be kind of easy for F4 to drift into the basepath or for the blue to perceive it as such.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A ways back, someone had posted an interesting twist on defending against the steal with runners at 1B and 3B.

Runner at 1B goes for 2B, Catcher throws to F4 who tags runner out on her way by and fires it home to get the out at the plate.

My question: on a Steal attempt if F4 is in the basepath could the rule on obstruction apply if she gets the baserunner out? I'm thinking on this play it would be kind of easy for F4 to drift into the basepath or for the blue to perceive it as such.

You would have obstruction ONLY if a defender without possession of the ball impeded the runner's attempt to advance.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That's a question that comes up a lot in the younger age groups, where you have the combination of infielders playing more shallow than the older girls and coaches that don't yet understand the obstruction rules. An infielder sets up in the baseline before the pitch and the coach will ask, "Can she do that?".

Sure she can. Like MTR said, it's not obstruction until somebody actually gets obstructed. On this steal play, look at it like this: Before receiving the ball, did the fielder's presence impede the runner? Did the runner have to slow down, stop or go around the fielder before the fielder had possession of the ball? If she did not, then you don't have obstruction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan