Projecting player development from 8U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree, it's D.

Of the girls on DD's 8U rec team, we had lost track of them all and only found out about a couple of them when they all reached HS age. I believe one had continued to play ball the whole time, but at the rec level; one played rec for awhile, but then hadn't played in a few years. Both of those girls ended up making the cut for the C team. I'd say those two girls roughly matched DD's skill level back then--and there was at least one girl who was noticeably better than DD on her 8U team (lost to soccer).

I went out and practiced with mine, not all that much, but more than the other parents. She kept getting just a little bit better as she went along. As CoogansBluff says, "others learn to love it over time, especially if they become pretty good at it and take pride in that."

Jan 25, 2011
Those who aren't playing at 8u probably have the best shot or a pretty good shot to still be around.

And the kids who 'make it' have nothing to do with their parents, unless you mean they have the money to pay for TB. You can see that by how some of the college parents act at games....I must admit if a parent is too into it and is getting their ego stroked by softball, the kid will quit. Just saw one do it last year after senior year, who I thought in 9th was the best chance at playing in college from my HS team.
You know, I have really tried to stay out of the bashing of your post. But I have to say, this post of yours is complete nonsense. Around here, softball is a family sport, from mom and dad to grandparents supporting the players. I really hope that you really don't treat parents like you say in your post.

Feb 7, 2013
Those who aren't playing at 8u probably have the best shot or a pretty good shot to still be around.

Wrong again! Whether you like it or not, parents have a huge influence on the development of their kids, especially when it comes to sports.

My DD has been playing since she was a 5YO in 6U. She is now 12YO, and when I look at the girls she still plays with and against in TB, are the ones who not only played when they were very young, but were also the ones that played on or against her All-Star teams from 8U through 12U.

The one thing I can tell you is the players who worked hard at thier craft when they were young, have a higher probablity of sticking with the game than those that dabbled in softball and had parents who were not involved in their child's development.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

And the kids who 'make it' have nothing to do with their parents, unless you mean they have the money to pay for TB. You can see that by how some of the college parents act at games....I must admit if a parent is too into it and is getting their ego stroked by softball, the kid will quit. Just saw one do it last year after senior year, who I thought in 9th was the best chance at playing in college from my HS team.

and......the cornflake pisser strikes again. You must be really fun at parties.

Apr 1, 2010

Oh, I can't agree with that. If a girl doesn't decide to start playing softball before 10U, it would be very hard for her. I'm not saying impossible, but difficult. She's not going to know how to throw or catch or hold a bat... I can't see a TB team taking her and since the rec teams tend to improve skills at a lower level and a slower pace, how will she catch up?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Is it only a coincidence they played 4 years for you? Wrong again OLIF. The world of softball is not even close to being as dysfunctional as you would have it. I realize that flies in the face of your alternate reality. I remain convinced you are a troll and this is all by design. You have to work very hard to be wrong about so much, so often.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

In the small rec league where my daughter started, I can't think of any kids her age who started after 8U who are still playing 7 years later. All the girls her age still playing played 8U. I wish that were not the case. I don't think earlier is better. But I think it's partly a function of how ''not fun'' fastpitch can be for beginners in 10U facing 10-year-old pitchers who lack control. In 8U, they can learn to love the game easier because it's not that hard to hit a coach/adult pitcher. If we could find a way to make softball more appealing to beginners who are 10-12, I think it might be different.

As far as parents having ''nothing to do'' with kids who make it, well, I can't agree with that, but I certainly understand your disdain for parents who want to take credit for what their kids have made of their own hard work and talent.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A. Athleticism at 8U
B. Ability/skill level in 8U
C. Love of the game at 8U
D. Their parents

While I will agree that having dedicated parents who help their DD "chase the dream" is HUGE, my contention would be that if the player did not demonstrate athletic ability, skill and a love of the game the parents would not be as dedicated. Why do you think so many pitchers parents become coaches? Because their DD has demonstrated an athletic ability that the parents want to nurture.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Oh, I can't agree with that. If a girl doesn't decide to start playing softball before 10U, it would be very hard for her. I'm not saying impossible, but difficult. She's not going to know how to throw or catch or hold a bat... I can't see a TB team taking her and since the rec teams tend to improve skills at a lower level and a slower pace, how will she catch up?

My both of my kids never played 8u and they are both on travel teams. My oldest started at 9, but we started in a league that was 9-12. Then when my youngest wanted to play here's the time line. Taught her to catch in in the summer of 2012. She played fall ball which at our league is very instructional. 2013 spring she plays rec. Makes all star team. From all star team asked to play for travel team. Travel team started tournaments in spring of 2014. She was the starting 3rd baseman and number 3 pitcher. Played spring 2014 rec along with tb. Now she is starting pitcher for tb going into this spring, moving up to 12u rec and is one of top pitchers in league.

My oldest is more a conventional timeline. She played 12 u starting in spring 2012, made the all star team every year since. End 2013 season she got asked to play on a travel team.

So, kids do not have play 8u to be ready for tb.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom