Pitching rule change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The rules should be the same for the men and the women, simple as that. The rules as they stand lead to some really bad moments in the game where Umps all of a sudden decide to watch for IPs and slow the game down or worse, change the outcome of the game entirely.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Men are leaping because it is legal and it provides a competitive advantage. Women leap due to crap mechanics. It is a defect not an enhancement
So let me get this straight men are leaping not because they have crap mechanics but because it is legal?
So if we changed the rule for women then they too would be leaping because it is legal.

I am in favor of eliminating both the leap and crow hop rule. MANY TOP pitchers leap and it is not called in any consistent manner so why have a rule that is not used consistently?

My DD is one of those leapers who have crap mechanics, Some days it gets called every inning and in the next game it never gets called. I see this happen all the time. Eliminate the leap and the crow hop as an illegal pitch.

Nov 29, 2009
ASA only requires the pitchers foot to be in contact with the plate and not on top of it. It's silly that each sanctioning body has their own variations.

You misread the rule. It is the PIVOT foot that must be on top of the plate. Not the stride foot.

Jun 22, 2008
You misread the rule. It is the PIVOT foot that must be on top of the plate. Not the stride foot.

ASA only requires the pivot foot to be in contact with the pitching plate. Most other rule sets specify a portion of the pivot foot must be on top of the pitching plate.

Every rule set has slight differences here and there. The pitching rules are all essentially the same, just minor changes in various requirements. As for the pivot foot only having to touch the pitching plate, I have seen very few pitchers using the technique. The last one I remember seeing was probably 4 years or so ago.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So let me get this straight men are leaping not because they have crap mechanics but because it is legal?
So if we changed the rule for women then they too would be leaping because it is legal.

I am in favor of eliminating both the leap and crow hop rule. MANY TOP pitchers leap and it is not called in any consistent manner so why have a rule that is not used consistently?

My DD is one of those leapers who have crap mechanics, Some days it gets called every inning and in the next game it never gets called. I see this happen all the time. Eliminate the leap and the crow hop as an illegal pitch.

Why not fix her mechanics, make her a better pitcher and call it a day? Problem solved, no IP's no rule changes.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Well she has been doing it since 10 u and she is a college junior now. Been working on it for years and it still creeps into her pitching. With that being said look at many of the top pitcher. I actually don't think leaping makes a bit of difference in the "quality" of pitching as evidenced by the fact that they do it in the mens game.

Nov 18, 2013

??? I'm not sure what you're reffering to. I never mentioned which foot. I only stated that ASA required feet be in contact while the previous poster said USSSA required that one foot be on top.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
IF leaping were to be allowed it will be very quickly become the norm since properly executed it certainly does provide a competitive advantage. Given that leaping, especially once sanctioned will result in a significant increase in front side resistance, is their any concern for the increased potential for injury?

Since most talk of alignment with the mens rules, will this include removal of the 24" pitching lane and moving the rubber back to 46 feet? Has anyone else experimented with elite level female pitchers throwing from 46 feet and no lane restrictions? Hint: Have you ever thrown a wiffle ball?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl