Pitching in different weather conditions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2009
Looks like its going to be a coin toss for weather in playoffs this week.

Do any of you have tips for pitchers that may face weather conditions.
Do you do anything different? Most likely it will be wet....and possibly raining for some of the game...

Rain....
No rain but muddy..
much Cooler temps

Any tips from the experienced folks would be appreciated. I have pine tar on order....:eek:) (just kiddingggggg)

Mike

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, DD played in Flagstaff (elevation 7,000 feet). I tried many things. She is cold natured. Underarmor winter wear helped, alot. She could pitch in sleeves, some girls can't. She never had to go to different cleats, or anything like that.

I think the biggest thing, is to get it in your head that the other team is facing this, too.

I remember a game where my team was just froze and the other team looked like it was 80 degrees out. You can imagine who won. So, maybe the less said about the weather, the better.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
UnderArmour is an amazing thing (for my DD anyways).

She wears heat gear in summer and doesn't overheated in weather well over 100 degrees and cold gear in winter and doesn't get cold in weather into the upper 30's. No different cleats, her Ringors are great in all conditions...

As far as the ball goes (DD pitches); she will get a new ball from Blue if she isn't comfortable at all because of it being wet, dirty, muddy, etc... Blue will keep balls as dry and clean as possible.

Amy said it best; above all, remember that everyone is facing the same conditions.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD pitched in Chicagoland. When the season started in late March, it could be snowing with a 20 mph wind.

We got her some ski mittens (not gloves) and some disposable hand warmers. So, she would put the hand warmers in the mittens, so her hands could get warm between innings. She had a hoody jacket so she could bundle up good between innings.

May 7, 2009
Thanks for the ideas....I think Ill use all of them....

Any specifics for a nice day but mud....or close to mud.
Just get used to the heavy shoes with mud clinging to them or
is there something you can put on your spikes, or spikes that
work better.....

Would a rosin bag in her pocket or behind the mound help with the
wetness on the ball?

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Here in Oregon, we play in bad conditions (especially wet) a lot of the time. I encourage my pitchers to keep a small towel tucked into the small of the back for finger drying, and I keep a big towel to rotate balls constantly--sometimes pitch to pitch if it's raining hard. Most of our umpires understand the potential danger of a wet ball getting away from a pitcher, and are willing to make this accommodation. As long as time is called, we can just trade without going through the blue.

It CAN be really hard to convince girls (and sometimes their parents) that they aren't going to freeze to death in the time they're in the field. I try to get them to keep moving between pitches (which they should be doing anyway). The more they talk and are into the game, the less they seem to care about cold, so I push them to talk to one another constantly. No matter what, though, It's always the girl standing with her hand in her armpit who gets the line drive hit right at her.

I do have a question on this line for the group--do you let your kids wear sweatshirts/jackets when they're in the field? I've always insisted that our uniform is our uniform--underarmour hot or cold gear beneath the jersey is always okay, but I don't like having kids in the field in sweatshirts. I've taken some flak for this policy--what do some of you do?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"I do have a question on this line for the group--do you let your kids wear sweatshirts/jackets when they're in the field?"

Yes. I don't have a problem, as long as the ump is accommodating. My DD's HS team supplied the sweats and jackets. (fundraising)

I used to be in a ski jacket. (coaching)

I always thought that sock hats would be good, too.

Added - If it is so wet that the cleats are pulling up mud and the hole is filling with water, I wouldn't play.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
My experience is a little different: I am amazed at the "indifference" my pitchers exhibited to hostile weather conditions. My college team played in Iowa in March where the temp was low's 40's and wind blowing in the 30+ mph range.
The 3 pitchers on the team didn't wear long sleeve undershirts. I had to fight with them to put on their jackets between innings, or when they got on base.
Basically they didn't have a clue about keeping their arm/shoulder warm and loose. It was frustrating. The same girls then couldn't understand why their pitches were weak and hittable.
jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd