pick up player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

with the rule change for 2015 303 A 04 stating that if age eligible, a player can play down. for example my DD plays 14u but is 12u eligible due to her age and the travel team she plays for, the coach has the team listed as a B team so the weekends that we have open she is being picked up by 12u teams to pitch for them so my ? is we can do that correct? only reason Im asking is her coach for her TB team for now is kind of raising a stink about it. thanks b4 hand for your feedback.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014
We were told at this year's coaches meeting that a 14u B player could play down to 12u B, but that if you ever played up to A you could no longer play B.

And after a being corrected by my commissioner multiple times, it sounds like you are talking about an "ad on" player not a pick-up player.

"Pick-up" player being a rec player playing up in comp, an "ad on" being a comp player being used for a tournament.

Mar 26, 2013
Is the 12U team ASA Class A and/or a travel team that isn't affiliated with an ASA rec league? What kind of events are they playing?

ASA generally doesn't classify players until they're red-lined (frozen/locked) on an official roster for ASA's Championship Play (i.e. qualifiers, nationals). However, some local state/metro associations regulate Class B rec before that (e.g. SoCal doesn't allow participating with a travel team after March 31), so you should check with your local JO rep/commissioner.

Article 303 regulates adding players to a red-lined roster for ASA Championship Play. Roster rules for other ASA tournaments usually only care the players are age-eligible and registered with ASA.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
AFAIK, B players have to come from the pool of players in the affiliated rec-league. There can't be many A players signed up for rec-ball, so even if ASA doesn't distinguish, there won't be many to choose from.

yeah the teams she's being picked up by are all TB teams as for whether or not they are A or B and registered for championship play I really don't know, what I know for sure 2 out of the 4 tourney's are just regular ASA sanctioned tourney's the other two are PGF tourney's

Mar 26, 2013
Is the 14U team planning on playing in ASA Class B Championship Play? If not, the 12U team may not be an issue.

You'd have to sign the roster if it's an official one for Championship Play.

You should be okay as long as she doesn't play in any ASA Class A qualifiers (e.g. State Champ, Regional Champ/Qualifier, National Qualifier, Northern NQ) with the 12U team, however check if there are any local rules restricting Class B players from also playing travel.

thanks soCal, I will ck into that as far as I know my DD's coach has no plans as far as I know to play in any A qualifier tourney's he's all about being in the B division which is why we're choosing to move on after this years play and keep my DD Down into her actual age classification next year with a A classification team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30