Outfield Throwing Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
My daughter has a really tough time getting out of the habit of throwing the ball from her shoulder rather than making a good straight overhand throw. Her throw becomes more of a shoulder push and it is very distinctive. Nobody on any of her teams comes close to that motion. Her hand is about at shoulder height when she starts to let go of the ball. Her elbow drops, then she throws. I have been working and working with her but I have to constantly remind her when she is warming up to practice, practice overhand throws. It looks great when she does it right but she gets into the game and it is back to the same old habit. She won't reach back and come over the top. When I get her to do it her throws are much more accurate and strong of course. I think I need a shock collar to train her.

When my dd first started playing hs ball, her coach called her "Rag Arm". Her throwing was TERRIBLE!! She worked with her every single practice - had her start with her hand above her head, cross the body and finish in a bending position with hand pointing towards opposite foot, if you can envision that. DD now throws beautifully - dead on and hard as all get out. It took her a while to get it down but once it clicked, she was good to go. Good luck! :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Video tape her doing it wrong and then correctly. Show her the difference.

Measure her throw, doing it both ways.

I tell the girls to the raise the elbow above the shoulder, on the throw, as if they are raising their hand in class.

Is she stepping through after she steps and throws. If she is right handed, is the right hip and leg coming through with the arm? Also, is she flicking her wrist when she releases the ball?

Here is a good site Jaeger Sports for overhand throw.

Jun 3, 2010
Thanks for the comments:

Amy: No, she is not stepping through all the time. I have been working on that too. Raising the elbow above the shoulder on the throw is the main thing I am trying to get her to do. She has the hardest time with that part.

Hollyrockartist: I like that visual. I will certainly try it.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
As she goes to separate her hands (glove & ball to throw) from the center of her body, instead of telling her to keep her elbow up, tell her to push down with her hand as she makes her arm circle by her thigh. By pushing down with the hand the elbow will lift up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad